As I was walking my AmStaff, this kid yelled across the street.....?

"Hey! Is that a Pit Bull?!"

I live in the Western US, so I responded "Yeah, she's an AmStaff." (He had no clue what I meant.......)

Since she has really saggy teats, http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg37/chalbri/?a... (from the previous owner, not me!) he asked if he could breed HIS pit who has a BIG head with MY dog!!!

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY?!?!?

I asked, "Does he have a certificate for his hips?"

He said, Uh, no but he doesn't need it, he's okay. He's a really good dog.

I said, "Did you get his CERF and OFA?" (I don't even remember if those are the correct terms, but I knew he didn't know better!)

He said, "no, but he's healthy."

LOL the_loon! Yeah, she is hot stuff! No wonder she was hit on!

BulliesRule, WOW.... I have not been asked if we still have puppies left, yet anyway.

Favorite Answer

I get sooo tired of that question. When it's a punk that I don't even want looking at my dog, I get smart a$$ed about it. Last time I shouted back, "No it's a f*&$ing poodle." and just kept walking. The guy was completely confused because she so obviously isn't. My husband hates when I do that. He doesn't understand why I have to be mean to people. I know they don't have good intentions. I also love to tell them (when they are drooling over my dog) "I got her from a shelter." "No way!" They always say that. "She's a blue, right?" Oh yeah, and so were the other nine in her litter who ended up being killed because they didn't find homes. "For real?" Uh hunh. Because blues are not rare. I also like to roll her over and show them all her sores because her allergies are so bad. I might as well educate people on the breed and the amount of care a blue requires. They think twice about spending the money on a certain color when I tell them how much she is costing me.

We had a rescue growing up who had saggy teats from all her litters. My dad used to get mad when he would walk her because people were always asking if we still had any puppies for sale.

Sigh. The ignorance.

Miss Daisy is beautiful. I love the picture of her sleeping. Sweet baby!

Your answer was shorter than "no", but should have been as effective. If he brings it up again, you could give him a serious talk about why its not a good idea, including the breed bans getting so common these days. To breed the two together would be greedy and stupid.

They aren't the same breed. Even if you find great homes for the puppies (and I bet he tells you he knows someone who will pay HUNDREDS for one puppy), what about their puppies? Why do close to half the dogs in animal shelters today look like pits or pitt mixes? Sheesh, a lot of shelters won't even adopt out pits or mixes, they just put them down automatically because they're worried about being held responsible if there's a problem later.

Oh, and yes it is CERF and OFA.

She is not for breeding and walk away. The nerve of some people. I don't think I would have been as cool headed though, in fact I know I wouldn't have. I am extremely protective of my babies and I do not call my female dogs "bitches." I hate that word and it's not used in my house. My dogs are treated like my kids or maybe even better than some people treat their kids and I would have been very offended if some kid had said that to me but that's me.

• hu

Well... just get used to it...youre gonna be hearing "say man..is that a pitbull" for years!! I got soo tired of that *hit.

I even hear that with some of my shorter corso..especially the females.

best thing to say is "she's to old for breeding"...and btw..dont even bother to explain "amstaff"..you'll be there all day and after the conversation..they wont believe you anyways. I used to just say.. "yeah he's a pit" and keep walkin.

*wolf whistle* your dog just got hit on. anyways about the breeding i would definitely say "NO WAY". there are already too many dogs here then we know what to do with. look how many they are putting down at the pounds these days. its so sad. also you know nothing about this dog. the puppies may end up with bad medical problems. this is a very irresponsible thing to do.

Your response was good because you found out immediately the person was clueless. I find diplomacy to always be appropriate. "Wow , that's a very generous offer but I'm not sure if she is ready for that. I would have to consider it and let you know. OR Well, that might have been an idea at one time, but she can't have any more puppies. Thank you for asking us.

What would I say?

Well I don't think I would have been as nice as you - or were you being sarcastic knowing he wouldn't know what on earth you were talking about? :)

I would say - NO and nothing else

ADD: Duh!!!!! I only just noticed your link (but then I am a natural blonde)

Daisy is gorgeous saggy teats and all. I love my dogs with all my all my heart but don't you just love it when they are sleeping so peacefully

I get asked that all the time with my crew. I usually just ignore them and keep walking. Or kindly inform them they are fixed.

I don't waste my breath on people like that.

Your not being a responsible pet owner by breeding your pets, leave that to the professional breeders that can improve the breed.

i wouldnt even respond. id probably look at him as if he were on crack and kept walking.