Ross

What is YOUR answer to lowering the price of gas, food, etc?

i want honest answers

• Susan
    Favorite Answer

I think we need to keep the prices where they are and just learn to adapt. I know it is tough, but once we get rid of our gas guzzlers and learn to efficiently heat/cool our homes, find alternative energy, learn to grow some of our own foods... then things will be better all around.

I would much rather adapt than to keep doing things that may come back and bite us in the *** even worse.

1. Gas.

End dependence on foreign oil

Become energy independent

Drill for oil at home

Open ANWR to Drilling

Increase offshore oil drilling

Build More Refineries

Develope alternate energy sources which are cleaner and more efficient.

Conserve energy

Decrease demand

Gradually wean ourselves from oil

2. Food

The high cost of food is related to the high cost of fuel, although that is not the only reason. The average American meal travels about 1500 miles from farm to plate. Doesn't it cost extra money and fuel to transport food that distance? I live in California, yet in my local food stores I see avocado from Chile, cantaloupe from Guatemala, asparagus from Peru, oranges from South Africa or Australia, green pepper from Mexico and garlic from China. So while California is transporting it's produce across the rest of the country, my little town is getting imported food. Does that make any sense? What has happened is we have become too global. What is needed is the local food system needs to be rebuilt. In the mean time I will support the local farmers.

• Marie

I think part of the answer could come from nuclear energy. Also, making things like gas saving scooters and cheaper type electric cars to run about the city in would be another great way to become more efficient. We need the government to encourage this kind of transportation more. We need the government help people with conversion to cheaper types of transportation. Huge tax breaks or transportation supplements to the poorer folks for purchasing these things.More public transportation also would help. If we can spend trillions in Iraq, why can't we help our OWN people? We need to stop all dependence on foreign oil and gas. We are a great country, why can't we become independent of foreign oil and gas? Building more bike paths would lead to a healthier society. I think we need to rethink how we look at getting to the store and back. Our scientists need to be funded in developing other sources of energy. If we drastically decrease the demand for oil and gas, we just may be able to produce enough on our own to meet most of our needs. But then that would leave the greedy oil and gas companies and the Saudis a bit upset..... wouldn't it?

Source(s): Just my opinion! We need to make cheap types of transportation street legal also!

Organize a widespread boycott of as much as possible. Don't drive, or make a cause for other people drive.

The cost of everything has really increased because of the price. Buy local goods so that they don't have to be shipped. Grow your own food. Go green with your house by turning up the temperature on the A/C, turning off unneeded lights, putting computers in standby when not in use.

Oil is $95 a barrel! It's almost $2 a gallon just for the crude oil, just like it comes out of a hole in the ground. I couldn't believe it didn't go up faster. The price is oil is all based on supply and demand. The supply is manipulated to control the price.

• Honestly? Pressure. There must be leverage there somewhere. The US is consuming 30 percent less gasoline this year. The US also consumes the most. The biggest market consuming 50 percent less is alot of leverage. Of course, breaking up the oil monopoly and putting a stop to the price gouging our village idiot of a president is being party to would go a long way as well.

Revert back to old methods of transportation...Walking, riding a bike. Growing your own food, drive less, eat only fresher foods and not a bunch of over priced processed non-sense. Plant a tree or two. We have become so accustom to convenience that we took it for granted, now it is kind of biting us back. I say we just have to use all means necessary and not toss all eggs in one barrel, errr umm, I mean basket...

I want to switch lets all drop gas and begin the search for alternative fuels its the soultion to everything sadly there is not much the average person can really do about it

The raising of minimum wage raised the price of gas and food.. so decreasing food and gas prices would lower minimum wage resulting in pretty much no difference

stop speculation. there's nothing that we as consumers can really do since we rely on both gas and food, but if we ended speculation then the prices would go way down. there's no way that demand and supply can change as drastically as prices have in the past few months.