Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

Sunnis, do you know anyone who became Shia?

No hate speech please. What do you think made them become Shia and why did they change?

• Favorite Answer

Note: No hate directed at anyone...

My ancestors were Iranian and Iraqi sufis who came to the Indian subcontinent to spread Dawah work... They themselves were near to shia islam but themselves through time and generation, some of their children became sunni... Few could Imagine their grandchildren would become shias again....

My answer to this question is that not only do I know someone who became shia, but that I am one myself... Yes, I was born in Iran, yes the first people around me were Shia Iranians... but no my parents wanted to bring me up as a sunni of Hanafi madh'ab... My dad was a moderate sunni and my mom a sufi shia so she had no problem with me turning up sunni. And they brought me up in 2 different Sunni countries (Pakistan and later Bangladesh) from the age of 7... I was taught sunni articles of faith, sunni theology in a "Moderate" School. There was no shia influence on me...

Things changed when I turned 14, I started losing interest in Islam (that was taught to me) and after being misinfluenced by an atheist I began to question everything...I did not understand what to believe.... I questioned hadiths, I questioned sunni Islam as a whole, and it was a big shock for me...But it wasnt all, I had looked in to christianity which I found to be ridiculous(sorry but thats how I felt)

At the age of 15 (or just before I turned 15) it changed, and it simply did within a period of a few days... I, through a lot of reading, finally got the hang of it... I found that without a doubt there was a God... I FINALLY knew what Islam was all about true flawless monotheism... Unfortunately at that time I knew I didnt have to follow sunnism... chiefly because of KNOWN corruption of even the Sahih Hadeeths...Slowly I began to research sects... While I knew Qur'an was a perfect book, I couldnt trust Sahih Hadeeths...how can so many contradictions be present in the perfect religion which had the perfect book? I read Sahih Bukhari tried to get answers from Salafi scholars who were very influential in society (unfortunately)...

It was very hard for me to find out open-mindedly about shia Islam... I couldnt find any books about shia islam by a shia scholar itself, only a bunch of anti shia hate speeches by salafi scholars at a time when I knew for certain that these people wanted to stop me from learning something... They kept on saying the nonsense that Shia islam was all about lying... trying to stop me from truly knowing about them... So I asked questions about looking into shias myself, and they continued to tell me I was only misguiding myself...

That convinced me to go forth, and I found out from books which were hard to find in the country (but easily available on the internet) that Twelver shia Islam was the purest form of Shia islam....

I accepted Imamat, I accepted the usool al-din... And I accepted Imam Ali to be the only rightly guided leader after our Prophet... I accepted the fact that Imamah was necessary to protect Prophet Muhammad's noble message from the impurities....

Islam was the truth for me, and sunnis are near to the truth... but Twelver shia is the purest form of Islam...

Dont get me wrong, its all about personal choice... I became a shia about 3 years ago....and my faith in shia Islam is as strong as ever....It was a life-altering decision, but the decision was made and I am now a proud Shia....Yes there are shias who convert to sunnism and believe me there were among my forefathers, but I can guarantee in this modern world there is a growing number of shias of sunni backgound... and I know quite a few of them and I know many converted for the same reasons I did....

Source(s): Arash

No I don't know any Sunni who have become a Shia. But I do know many Sunnis who follow some of the traditions of Shias like mourning in the month of Muharram.

No I haven't. I don't think there are many dawah efforts by Shia Muslims in the US and that could be one reason. When I converted, I just went to a mosque.. I didn't ask about it being Shia or Muslim. I don't know many Shias, but the ones that I do know were brought up Shia.

I'm just wondering. How does someone become Shia.. I mean how does a "sunni" Muslim become Shia?

The prophet himself mentioned to every his possess and if you happen to wish to be a Shia no person can give up you; nonetheless, I marvel why you wish to try this; I additionally Love Ali; I suppose he was once a high-quality disciple of the prophet and his sons have been very courageous but when Prophet Mohammad desired to make the management of Islam hereditary, he could have most likely named his successor..do not you suppose? The Shia/Sunni department has a high-quality bad end result on Islam and high-quality partitions have divided us. The Prophet under no circumstances meant this to be so.

there is no such precedure becoming shia sunni /sunni to shia, salafi many not fixed to a certain sect. like me i am sunni/ salafi but belive respect many things with jaafari/zaidi shia.

more accurately saying i am not shia or sunni.

again this muhammed below saying shia from muslim as if shia is not muslim!

• S

No, I only know of a Shia who became a Sunni.

No hate speech huh?looolz

Nope I have never seen sunni who became a shia.

• pink

Takfir of a Muslim is kufr. The Muslim is ordered not to make takfir on anyone who says, la illaha illa Allah. Prophet Muhammad said that if someone declared takfir on another, the one who was takfired only had to say la illaha illa Allah to make a liar out of the takfirer. Guard your Islam.

To meet Muslims who have switched to the Shia sect, one only needs to visit a Shia Islamic centre.

I don't know any Muslims that went from one sect to another. I do know some Muslims who converted to other religions, became agnostic and also some who became atheist.

well, im not Sunni, but I know a Jordanian man who became Shiaa and authored a very good book about what made him make the change and all the proof that the sunni doctrines are not actually authentic after all. In one of his speeches at the mosque i go to he explained that many people who have read his book have also become Shiaa after doing their research and using their logic.

______

thats a very inspirational story, arash ^_^ thanks for sharing.

well there is this woman i know of, her husband is Shia but she was a Suni, but now they're married, she didn't actually converted into a Shia, but bcuz her husband is Shia so i think that also makes her Shia

Source(s): m3