shock probation in texas? SERIOUS ANWSERS ONLY!!?

i need all the info i can get on shock probation

im doing research for my fiance so that he doesnt take an unfair plea bargain

PLEASE HELP WITH ONLY SERIOUS INFORMATIVE ANWSERS!!

thanks!!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If he's offered shock probation he should jump at the opportunity.

Shock probation/split sentencing is a sentence for a term of years, but after 30, 60, or 90 days, the offender is removed from jail or prison.

While these terms are used interchangeably, they are actually two different activities. In shock probation, the offender is originally sentenced to jail, then brought before the judge after 30, 60, or 90 days and re-sentenced to probation (Ohio scheme). In split sentencing, probation is part of the original sentence requiring no additional appearance before the judge (California scheme). Nonetheless, the terms refer to the same outcome—some jail, some community.

Shock probation provides defendants with an opportunity to receive probation after spending a short period of time in a jail or prison. The theory underlying shock probation is that immersing a defendant in the penal system for a short period of time can \'shock\' him or her into a non-criminal lifestyle. Like other forms of probation, shock probation is considered a privilege rather than a right or entitlement. This means it is up to the discretion of the sentencing judge. In Texas, where you are from, judges may grant shock probation to felony and misdemeanor offenders within six months of the time they begin serving their jail sentences. For felony offenders to be eligible, this must be the first felony for which they have been incarcerated. As Texas allows jury sentencing, juries also may recommend shock probation. Once released, offenders are put on community supervision. It might work like this: A first time offender can be sentenced to a prison term -- say 10 years, and sent to Huntsville, like any other convicted felon. But after 90 days to 6 months, the judge can suspend the remaining portion of the sentence and grant probation. The \"shock\" is meant to be 90 days to six months of daily life in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, after which an inmate theoretically will never break the law again. Shock probation benefits the state as well as the inmate. It is a cost-saving alternative to lengthy incarceration and is believed to reduce recidivism. Keeping an inmate in the system any longer than 90 or 180 days not only costs more money but increases the risk of creating a hardened criminal. Since the rules governing shock probation in Texas have been amended several times, and several serious offenses are excluded from the shock probation option, your best bet is to contact a criminal defense attorney in your area to see if you are eligible for the program.

For many a first offender, the worst part of prison comes in those shocking first days behind bars. Stunned by the strip search on entering, the frightening, unfamiliar vastness of the prison and the long incarceration stretching ahead, the new inmate is overwhelmed. On the theory that the first taste of prison may have at least as much curative effect as the full dose, a few states, including Indiana and Ohio, have quietly been practicing what they call "shock probation."

Eight months ago, Kentucky be came the latest state to try the experiment. Under its law, an offender sent to jail for a misdemeanor or felony may be granted probation by a judge after serving between 30 and 60 days. Not every applicant gets the early probation; one judge reports turning down ten requests for every one he grants. The procedure is generally used for first offenders in borderline cases where the judge has had a problem deciding whether to commit a man at all.

So far, 101 Kentucky prisoners have been released on shock probation. Of them, only three have been returned to prison. One Viet Nam veteran who faced a year for selling amphetamines got out after two months and claims, "There is no chance I'll ever be in trou ble again." A 19-year-old sentenced to ten years for selling heroin was surprised by "how good they all were to me — the judge, the public defender, every one." Says his mother: "We thought we had lost him completely."

Those preliminary results parallel the experience of Ohio, the first state to try the shock-probation process. There, 4,014 prisoners have been released after serving only two or three months since the plan went into effect in 1966. Only 9% of them have had to go back to jail while the national recidivism rate is estimated as from 65% to 80%.

• rebelo
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Shock Probation Texas

• 4 years ago

Shock Probation In Felony Convictions

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

shock probation in texas? SERIOUS ANWSERS ONLY!!?

i need all the info i can get on shock probation

im doing research for my fiance so that he doesnt take an unfair plea bargain

PLEASE HELP WITH ONLY SERIOUS INFORMATIVE ANWSERS!!

thanks!!

Source(s): shock probation texas anwsers only: https://shortly.im/AWS77
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.