What would be a better first car: a 1993 Volvo 240 or a 1980 Mercedes 300 TD station wagon?

I am 18 and just about to get my first car. I narrowed it down to two cars: a 1993 Volvo 240 and a 1980 Mercedes 300 TD. Both cars are in pretty much mint condition. The Volvo has 97,592 miles on it and the Merc only has 29,145 miles, which is pretty unusual because these car usually go up to 200k miles or more. Anyway, I want to know which car would be a better choice to get.

Favorite Answer

Mercedes will be easier to get parts for and more shops know how to work on a Mercedes than a Volvo.

However the Mercedes being a station wagon is going to be tail heavy for an inexperienced driver to handle on wet roads, icy roads and snowy roads:

What kind of miles? Where how.! City or open road:

29,145 might seem low milage, However here is the problem. It hurts and wears an engine a lot worse poking around town stopping and starting, than being driven on an open road for long distances at a time:

You need to consider that as well:

What you really need to do is take both cars to a mechanic you can really, and I mean really trust. Have him check them both out for you. he'll have the tools and test equipment to thoroughly check both cars for hidden problems:

none of the above.

Volvos are safe but expensive to own and repair.

1980? this car is too old.

for $4,000

look for

98 Acura CL, 98 Ford Mustang V6, 98 Honda Accord or Civic, 98 Nissan Frontier or Pathfinder, 98 Subaru Impreza or Legacy, 98 -00 Toyota Corolla or Echo 00

Source(s): http://bigcats/ . care2 . com/

I'd shop around more and not just be stuck on those. Choose a safe reliable car.

the mecedes is probably carbureted engine. In that case the Volvo would be better. Also parts of cars (like rubber parts, etc.) age so even with extremely low mileage they are still OLD.

Good Luck...

a Volvo is better for you because the Volvo is the safest car in the world but if you like sporty cars then take the Mercedes but its your taste of car so if you like my answer take it if not take whats best for you

Neither of them. There both poor choices for a first car.Odd that a 1980 Mercedes only has 29,000 miles on it. What was or is still wrong with it.