Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

My 3 1/2 year old won't poop in the potty!!?

he has been pee potty trained and been wearing underwear for a year now, but he will not poop in the potty! he doesn't pee the bed, pee his undies, or anything. he just goes to the bathroom and pees when he needs to. when he has to poop he asks for a diaper. we give him one to poop and put his undies back on him when he's done. he never poops his pants. we try putting him on the potty when he tells us he has to go, but he screams and will not go! we've even tryed putting a diaper on him and setting him on the potty and he won't do it. it's something about sitting on it he doesn't like, and won't tell us why. we've even tryed bribing him with everything, even disney world and monster jam and he still won't go. is there anyting we can do at all?

Favorite Answer

First of all, it is fabulous that your son does not have pee accidents! What you are experiencing is not uncommon. Kids get afraid to have bowel movements. For my children I researched and found a very stable stool with sides for the toilet so they could hold on the whole time and have solid placement for their feet. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

I put toilet paper over the water to make sure there was no splash. By making my kids as relaxed and comfortable as possible, I saw them take pride in using a regular toilet. This stool made all the difference and was well worth it. Hope this helps.

I agree with some of the others. He can either poop in the potty or in his big boy underpants. I would calmly explain to him what you expect ahead of time. Then when the situation arises, take him in to the bathroom and calmly help him. He will most likely have a total fit for a couple days -he is manipulating you. If he chooses to poop in his big boy underpants. Calmly and quietly clean up the poop. Have him help you wash out the underpants in the sink --another fit may happen. I know that sounds gross. I did it with my 4 year old when he would have accidents. It taught him cause and effect for pooping in his pants (sometimes I would have to hold his hands to get him to do it). When he does go on the potty make a very big deal of it! No matter what don't bribe, yell and never give in (everyone in your house needs to on the same page)!!

Just a question.... Does he use a toilet or a potty? maybe the toilet is to big and makes him nervous.

Good luck. Remember don't yell (or even talk alot) and don't ever give in!!

What you need to do is stop giving in and letting him have a diaper. He will go eventually, but it might be uncomfortable for him for a while. My daughter is 3 and does not like to poop on the potty either. But, we are firm with her and put her on the potty. She screams and cries, but eventually will poop. We don't yell at her or make a big deal of the fact that she's crying. Either my husband or I will sit near her (across the hall) and let her know that she needs to use the potty. We don't pay attention to the fact that she's crying, but give her encouragement to poop. After she does, we make a HUGE deal of what a big girl she is and reward her with a treat. (We use gummy fruit snacks). It's tough, but eventually your son will be able to use the potty to poop with no problem. Kids will go eventually, I promise!!

Why don't you stop giving him diapers to poop in. He won't learn to do it in the potty that way.

Don't bribe him - bribing never works. If he doesn't get a diaper - he has two choices, poop his pants like a baby, or go in the potty like a big boy. When he does finally use the potty, reward him - but don't tell him he'll get a reward.

hi alot of toddlers have problems with the potty especially the poo part you just need to keep encourage him in doing do not false him on there because that will scare him and he wont want to do it again is he constipated? because sometime they will associate the potty/loo with it hurting. If not then just keep praising him and tell him that's what big boys do and mummy and daddy. Have you tried giving him a book to read on the potty? that might be an idea. Good luckxxxx

maybe it hurts him when he tries pooping. Take him to the doctor to check his colon maybe he has a small cut or tear in his colon and it hurts him when he tries to poop. I dont think anyone would want to not poop. And I bet he's grouchy all the time because he has constant tummy aches from not going to the potty he might really be hurting himself. It might not sound serious, but get it checked out.

Acquiring your toddler out of nappies depends on whether or not a consistent approach is get. Therefore, if she is at nursery or with a little one minder, nanny or family members, absolutely everyone needs to get the identical method.

To find out how to potty train your kids in only 3 days you will need to have this plan https://tr.im/L5TrZ

This helpful system helps you in minimizing the require of altering dirty diapers repeatedly. After making use of this plan your youngster would be totally potty skilled. It also aids in growing the self-confidence of your kid, which is vital for his development.

This system is the perfect system for Those parents who can devote 3 days for potty train of their little one. They only need to be calm, tolerant and patient and adhere to this guidebook.

why dont you quit giving him the diaper to poop in.Secondly he is 3.5 years old he too old not to be potty trained.If he can talk in complete sentences and hold a conversation then he can use the bathroom.Children are very smart he is playing you .if you pop his butt a couple of times he will you use it.I Would not be changing a child 3.5 year olds diaper.

it is very common. he will do it when he is ready. try not to worry and dont put pressure on him. it will happen. having a poo isnt always comfortable and i guess nappy does offer some comfort. if kids dont feel comfortable they may not go at all which can lead to constipation and other problems. they also like to have privacy. some kids have this problem until they are about 5.

don't give him a diaper...

he won't be able to hold it...

he will go in his underwear...

he will hate the feeling of poopy underwear...

then he will probably beg to use the potty for poop...