Potty Training Advice?

My son is 20months old. Recently he's been holding himself and saying Pee when he goes. He's constanlty taking off his clothes and diaper. So, I think he's ready to start potty training. But, he will not go on the potty. He likes playing with the potty just not going on it. I've tried letting him use the big potty and also a training potty which I let him pick out himself. So, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I can do?

Favorite Answer

It really helped my sons to potty train standing up so they could watch what was happening and connect the sensations. It seemed like they developed very quickly this way. I researched and found a sturdy stool with sides for the toilet so my boys could hold on without ever touching the toilet with their hands. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

They could sit or stand and feel completely relaxed. This stool made all the difference and was well worth it. Hope this helps.

• falter

Firstly congratulations on doing so good along with your first!!! I have a two 12 months historical son and my father was once constantly telling me how he will have to have lengthy been out of nappies, it seems that we we are all dry via one-one and a part. I caught to my weapons and potty knowledgeable at 2yrs 4months and had no truly issues. What I'm looking to say is you as a mom understand the correct time on your youngster and due to the fact that your no longer having any issues I fairly do not believe you've got harmed her or performed whatever incorrect in any respect. As for night time-time nappies, I individually am going to depart it somewhat at the same time till ninety% of morning nappies are dry. I constantly take my youngster to the potty earlier than mattress and check out to not deliver him an excessive amount of to drink after 6pm. Do the night time-time while you're able and your daughter is able and good performed at the development you've got made to this point.

Honestly, I think he's too young to be fully potty trained. Meaning he can pull his own pants up and down, and tell you he has to go to the potty before he goes consistently.

You can continue to encourage him to try to sit on the potty. If you can get him to sit on the potty long enough, he might accidentally pee in it... Then maybe he will understand what you want him to do.

I got the potty book that's in the baby area at Wal-Mart. It has a little flushable button to press. But it's just long enough that my little busy body will stay on the potty and we'll read through it. Also a lot of praise and yeahs when he does sit and go help.

Source(s): mom of 2 boys

What you should do is let him see mommy or daddy going and take him and put him on his potty. Make a big deal about it to let him know that this is what he is supposed to do. Also sit him on the potty and then congratulate him with lil gifts. If he sees rewards, this will inspire him.

my one nephew was like that ! oh drive ya crazy ! I actually took him shopping let him pick out his own underwear and then i purchased a potty chair that ONLY played music when he used it the right way ! he did play with it but he eventually figured out the only way to sing along with the songs was to pee or poop in the potty ! and he started using it ! my sister was happy and I was the greatest aunt !

Try small steps like getting him to sit on the potty til he goes in the morning, then gradually make it so it goes all day.

Don't pressure him, that will just make him not want to use it more. Make the potty available for him, and try to make it fun. But try not to make him think he's bad for going in his diaper. He's still pretty young, so don't worry too much.

find something he likes. (stickers, candy, etc) and every time he goes (you must encourage him to do this) give him one "prize" that he must put in a certain spot (unless its edible, let him eat it. ) then when e has so many stickers or whatever give him a bigger prize (but only one)

Put cheerios in the toilet and let him sink them! Lots of praise when he does go!