What to ask when interviewing potential nannies?

I'm going back to work in August (I'm an obstetrician/gynecologists). I'm interviewing about 8 potential nannies. She'll work from 9-6. My daughter will be 7 months then.

My husband installed cameras in the living room, in her nursery, the kitchen and play room so I can have a peace of mind that she's doing an adequate job. How much should I pay the nanny?

• gmdee
    Favorite Answer

First of all you should be interviewing through a reputable nanny agency. This way you know a background and reference check has been made. Second, they help set the pay scale based on conditions and hours. Check with agencies in your area for piece of mind.

First of all the amount of pay.....It really depends on the area and the amount of experience that the nanny has you are hiring. If the nanny has little to no experience as a nanny (they may have experience babysitting but that doesn't count as nanny experience) anywhere between $8-10 per hour is a good range. If the person you are hiring maybe only has experience with extensive babysitting and some kind of child related education you are looking at a pay range of $10-12 per hour and if they have a lot of nanny experience and such you are probably going to pay $12+ per hour. That could come out to anywhere from $450-650 a week. It also depends on what area of the country you live in.

Also keep in mind that you may want to offer your nanny 2 weeks of paid vacation, personal/sick days and major holidays off. You may also want to provide money towards the nanny's health insurance. Also as your daughter gets older and the nanny may take her places that you are defintely going to want to provide reimbursement for gas mileage used while driving your daughter to various activities.

Here are some questions you may want to ask:

What their discipline style is.

How they would handle an emergency.

What would they do if your child cries all day.

What they would do if your child refuses to eat while your gone.

Ask about and get references if they haven't already been checked.

Ask if they are CPR and first aid certified. (This should be a requirement for you)

Find out what kind of age appropriate things the would do with your child.

Ask about their experiences.

Tell them what you expect of them and make sure it is something they think they can handle.

Ask them about their interests or hobbies.

Ask them about their strengths and weaknesses.

You can also search the internet and find additional questions.

You should ask questions that find out if her 'parenting' views are similar to yours. Make sure that both of you are on the same page (happily) about sleep and eating. Some people are very adamant about how much baby food should be given, when it should be given, when new foods should be given etc and others choose never to use baby food. If you believe in baby led weaning you probably don't want a nanny that opposes it. The same goes for sleeping. If one of you is a proponent of Ferber or CIO and the other is an opponent, you're going to have problems.

• hstris

I was a Nanny for a while and for 9-6 M-F I would charge $500.00 a week. As far as questions make sure you are on the same page with everything.