Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

what is the correct mixture of bleach and water for killing mold and mildew from water damage?

water damage in basement created mold growing everywhere. how should i get rid of it?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    you need more than just bleach and water to kill mold and mold spores. You can wipe what is visible with a wet rag and most of what you have will disappear, however, the spores are still there. There is only one product sold that will take care of your problem now, and keep the problem from coming back. That is called trisodiumphosphate, or more commonly TSP. Look for it in Lowes, Home Depot, etc type stores. You want the Blue and White colored box with red lettering. Then mix 1 gallon of water, any temperature, with 1/2 cup bleach, 1/4 cup of something like Tide powdered detergent and 1/2 cup of TSP. Mix well and if you have very sensitive skin, wear rubber gloves. Apply liberally to all surfaces with a sponge or sponge mop. Let sit for about 10 minutes and wipe off. Let dry well. TSP kills mold and mold spores behind vinyl siding, wallboard, sheetrock, paneling etc. The only stuff I've ever used that kills things you cant even see. And it doesn't return

    Source(s): former painting contractor
  • 1 decade ago

    First you want to replace any boards that were damaged by the water, otherwise the mold is going to come back. 50/50 is a good start.

    But, if it's really that bad, and there's no ventilation, you really need to get a mold and mildew remover that attaches to the wall. This will prevent future occurrences over time than bleach and water.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/aygRu

    Let it dry out thoroghly. You can even use a space heater aimed at the problem areas that are still wet. Before you put down carpet after water damage you should always clean the floor and baseboards with bleach. Combine 1 gal water with 1/2 cup bleach. Wash it good and let it dry. Check for signs of mold. And if need be clean again and dry. Then seal the wood with Kiltz or any other sealant for wood. You will have to replace the pad and the carpet. Mold loves those two. Becareful, never turn in a claim to insurance for water damage. It is better to pay yourself unless it is extensive and you can afford it. It puts a black mark on your property. That claim stays with it for years and years. If you go to sell the property, you may not be able to sell it because the buyers will not be able to get insurance. I know it happened to me.

  • 6 years ago

    This Site Might Help You.

    RE:

    what is the correct mixture of bleach and water for killing mold and mildew from water damage?

    water damage in basement created mold growing everywhere. how should i get rid of it?

    Source(s): correct mixture bleach water killing mold mildew water damage: https://tinyurl.im/k1geC
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    Bleach Water Ratio

  • Josh
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    The more mold the stronger the mix. I use 1 part bleach to 3 parts water. If it's bad you could go 50/50.

  • chacko
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

    Does Bleach Kill Mold

  • Elias
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    If this is toxic mold in your basement even pure bleach would not kill the toxins. It will continue to make oyur family sick. Its worth it to get a professional to come in and atleast check to see if its toxic or not. I suffered brain damage because of toxic mold. It can happen to anyone

  • Terry
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    I hope you can ventilate well use fans. 1 cup chlorine bleach and 1cup white vinegar one gallon of water. Use a pump up sprayer and spray. The trick is to let it stay on there long enough to kill the mildew at least 30 minuets to an hour.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    A half cup to a typical 2-1/2 to 3 gallon bucket is a fairly strong mixture. But you could increase it if its not as effective as you think it should be.

    Plus, open any and all windows/doors, run as many fans as possible, and de-humidifiers if possible.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.