My 15 year old son wants to learn to shoot guns?

I am very nervous about my son shooting guns. He would like to learn and is a very responsible young man. He has shot a bb gun and pellet gun. What is the best gun for a beginner and where is a safe place to learn. He doesn't want to hunt, just shoot targets. Should we go to a shooting range? Where would he... show more I am very nervous about my son shooting guns. He would like to learn and is a very responsible young man. He has shot a bb gun and pellet gun. What is the best gun for a beginner and where is a safe place to learn. He doesn't want to hunt, just shoot targets. Should we go to a shooting range? Where would he take safety classes? What equipment/gear does he need? Safety glasses? Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
Update: My son is a good kid and is not one of these kids that wants to learn to get into trouble with it. He actually wants to be on the swat team and he mentioned being a police officer, but I am trying to discourage him from that. I know it is a very honorable job, but way to dangerous. I'm hoping he just does it as... show more My son is a good kid and is not one of these kids that wants to learn to get into trouble with it. He actually wants to be on the swat team and he mentioned being a police officer, but I am trying to discourage him from that. I know it is a very honorable job, but way to dangerous. I'm hoping he just does it as a hobby.