Did you ever catch Fire Flies?

as a child and pinched off enough of the lights to make a ring?

Update:

Yes, we called them by either name..lightening Bugs or Fire Flies..

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Yup. Like to pop them in my mouth, swallow them down, and make my poop glow.

• 1 decade ago

We used to catch them every summer. We'd put grass and little sticks in the bottom of a jar, Mom or Dad would help us punch holes in the lid, and we'd run and jump for hours, maybe even days-full-of-summer evenings. We'd see who had the most by how much light each jar held.

My brothers could make the rings better than me. They'd put the "light" on anything they wanted to light up.

Source(s): I've never been much good at heart at that sort of thing, even when I didn't know any better.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, we made those "diamond rings." Pretty cruel now when you think about it. We also put them in jars with grass and sticks. I guess we thought we were gonna have pet lightening bugs. They always died within an hour or so.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Yes. That brought back an old memory. I live in the country now and I use to catch them in the city. But I don't see as many as I use to.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes I used to catch them in a jar and watch them show off their light and if I caught enough of them I had a homemade flashlight

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I never managed to pinch the ends but I used to name most, in fact ALL of them Pug.........

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes I did but I didn't do that to them and we call them lightening bugs

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We used to smash them on the sidewalk to make it glow at night. They did smell bad!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I used to put them on the front of my car and used them as head lights, until PETA got wind of it and made me stop.

• 1 decade ago

No I saved them to light my house at night .... I'm real cheap.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.