I need to know what's better in terms of processor and video card for a computer im looking at. please help!

okay well i have two options, the computer im looking at, has two processors that i would consider, please keep in mind im buying this computer for gaming (WoW to be specific)

From: 1) Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q9450 (2.66GHz)

To: 2) Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q9550 (2.83GHz)

now its either i upgrade to the better one there, OR i upgrade video card:

To 2)1GB NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT, 2 DVI, HDMI adapter

Please if somebody can tell me which upgrade is worth more in terms of gaming, i would really appreciate it..ive been looking around forums etc cant figure it out!!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Greg D
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This system is very good, quad cores are not being taken advantage of right now in gaming but they will soon so at least you will be getting a system that will hang around longer if you know what I mean. The 9450 is fine, don't pay the extra for the 9550, you won't see a difference at all in current games but the video cards are a major difference.

The 9600 is for gaming but the 9800 is for extreme gaming. As compared to integrated graphics the 9600 is 15x faster but the 9800 is 22x faster plus the extra video memory. Big difference that you won't see with just the slight differences in the processors.

Look at this link from nvidia's website to see the difference in the two cards.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html

Make sure you have at least 3GB of memory and the fastest type that your motherboard can support. Memory is so cheap now that you could buy 3GB or even 4GB for that matter for $120-150. 32bit windows only fully utilizes 3GB but it does let you use 3.2GB of the 4GB, advantage of going with 4 1GB modules is that they will all run in dual channel increasing the speed, whatever you do, don't do 3 1GB modules, lose the speed since it can't run dual anymore.

Source(s): IT industry for over 14 years Hardcore Gamer for over 19 years.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Ratufa
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

WoW is not a very demanding game with respect to system requirements. Either setup should be overkill for WoW, as long as you have 2GB or more of system RAM (I'm not referring to graphics card memory, here).

My gut feeling is that once you have a good processor (and both of the ones you listed are good), you'll get more bang for the buck for gaming by getting a better graphics card. Some games may be more CPU-bound than others and would benefit from the more powerful CPU, but overall I think getting the better graphics card is the best choice.

Are you buying this from HP? If so, you might want to look at some other pre-built PC vendors and compare what you'd get for the money or even build it yourself (which would get you a better system for less).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Personally, I think your problem is with your ram. I can play much more demanding games than wow (Half-life 2, crysis, doom 3), with above decent setting (high textures, HDR with bloom) running with 2 piii's at 700mhz, with a legacy-ish card, but have 4 gigs of ram, in addition to 4gigs of virtual. What you have right now, I consider a bit overkill, unless you are running a server, but I would choice 1, given if you plan to mainly play wow.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.