Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Do Ya Think Prayer Works?

I'd love to discuss this. I see it's been discussed b4. We have come up from a very hard background and have been saved and have tried to began a real relationship with God. It does seem like our lives have changed for the better. In fact, I do not drink at all anymore (major problem b4) and my husbands business is going very well. I'm still dealing with pain pill issues as I stated in a previous question. God is at work in our lives and I'd just like to see what you think about that.....I'm not gonna kick your *** with a bible or anything, just curious about prayer and how ya feel

Thx, Nikki

Favorite Answer

I'm really happy that you don't have a drinking problem anymore. But you have to realize that it wasn't God who made you quit, it was you and your strong will to get rid of that bad habbit.

So instead of thanking God, take some time and be proud of your achievments.

Prayer doesn't work, and it's been proven (see the link).

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T6SMQ7J8IFV9...

I don't think prayer works. We have some studies done on intercessory prayer and the results are negative.

What I see a lot is this kind of a back pedaling. When a child dies of leukemia it is part of God's plan. When a person is on time to work despite a late start then prayer works. Either way prayer works, but it depends on God's mood. What you have is this ultimately: the efficacy of prayer is indistinguishable from a world where there is no God who answers prayers as a world where this is a God who answers prayers in his own time and way.

Maybe praying gives a person a pleasant feeling. That is subjective, but who am I to begrudge a person the equivalent of rubbing a lucky rock?

No matter how you cut it, the world acts as if there isn't a prayer answering God. Positive results are often pretty far stretches to make it a positive result.

Another thing is what kinds of a prayers seem to be answered most often. Amputee children never get their prayers answered, and you'd think they were the most deserving, but Nikki here doesn't drink anymore and her husband's business is doing well. I think the working force is her desire to stay sober and her husband's busienss skill. Why did God answer Nikki's prayers, but not that of thousands upon thousands of broken children. They aren't sinners. They're just kids. It makes God look very... let's just say that omnibenevolent isn't the word I'm looking for here.

I think the point of prayer is that it is a ‘transforming friendship’ that provides something more than getting answers. This ‘transforming friendship’ is the setting in which we develop our confidence in God’s care. Here we prove that he is looking out for us. By prayer we do not merely get the gifts; we also get to know the giver. In prayer we hear his heartbeat, grasp his agenda and begin to identify with his plans for us and our world. This is something that is summed up in the words of the Lord’s Prayer: "Your Kingdom Come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven." (Matthew 6:10) Prayer is one of the ways that God invites us into a creative partnership that includes us in the process of exploring the margins of the future. God may know the future but we do not. Prayer is a journey of discovery in which God helps us to get a handle on what he is thinking and doing.

• hippo

I'm an atheist and I gave up drink.

My partners business is also going very well lol.

Religious people tend to read in to the good times as "their prayers answered", and the bad times as "God's higher purpose trying to test me, or make me grow as a person".

Studies have disproved that prayer works many times.

I'm glad you think it's working for you though :)

In a meditative sense, yes, since it relaxes you and reduces blood flow to the area of the brain associated with physical being. That's how people feel they connect with their god or universe.

Praying for others? 100 percent failure rate.

I overcame my own alcoholism 25 years ago without prayer, religion or religious help. I say whatever works to keep you sober, fine. I will not criticize that. But I did tell my mother who tried to say her god had something to do with my sobriety that the same god made me a drunk in the first place- that's how things work.

Source(s): Atheist

Dear Nikki: I too am a recovering alcoholic.

God ALWAYS answers prayer.

The kicker is: Sometimes he says Yes, sometimes NO, and sometimes "Not right now"

Here's an example: When the Patriots played the Giants in the last Superbowl. you had tons of kids in New England praying for the Patriots to win.

You had tons of kids in New York praying for the Giants to win.

God;s answer to the New England kids was NO, you had your turn. And to New Yorks kids Yes, its about time!!!

Prayer is an essential thing in any Christian's life, it definitely works, I couldn't live properly without it, it sustains me. I understand about pain and needing something for it, although I try not to take anything myself for pain unless it's severe.

yes prayer works....and if you dont believe in a God, then prayer still works...recent studies show that prayer has medical benefits/and helps the healing process. now dont go and stop going to the doctor.

Yes, prayer works all the time. Even if God's answer is no, praying for His will is the right way because He knows the past, the present and the future! How cool is that!

About 50% of the time it works, which is average.