What is strategy?

I am really confused with this word. I say that it means having knowledge of something. Am I wrong or not?. If yes, then what does it exactly mean?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Dictionary: strategy

1. The science and art of using all the forces of a nation to execute approved plans as effectively as possible during peace or war.

2. The science and art of military command as applied to the overall planning and conduct of large-scale combat operations.

2. A plan of action resulting from strategy or intended to accomplish a specific goal. See synonyms at plan.

3. The art or skill of using stratagems in endeavors such as politics and business.

[French stratégie, from Greek stratēgiā, office of a general, from stratēgos, general. See stratagem.]

Marketing Dictionary: strategy

Any plan for achieving goals or objectives.

Business Dictionary: Strategy

Management plan or method for completing objectives; plan of procedures to be implemented, to do something.

Small Business Encyclopedia: Strategy

As James Brian Quinn indicated in The Strategy Process: Concepts and Contexts, "a strategy is the pattern or plan that integrates an organization's major goals, policies, and action sequences into a cohesive whole. A well-formulated strategy helps to marshal and allocate an organization's resources into a unique and viable posture based on its relative internal competencies and shortcomings, anticipated changes in the environment, and contingent moves by intelligent opponents." All types of businesses require some sort of strategy in order to be successful; otherwise their efforts and resources will be spent haphazardly and likely wasted. Although strategy formulation tends to be handled more formally in large organizations, small businesses too need to develop strategies in order to use their limited resources to compete effectively against larger firms.

Military History Companion: strategy

Strategy is an ancient concept that has eluded precise definition. The word derives from the Greek strategos, a civil-military official elected by the citizens of Athens to assume leadership in time of war. Most attempts at definition have turned upon a contrast with ‘tactics’ (taktika), the art of making arrangements, or of putting things in position. There is a superficial practicality in the idea, put forward by one 18th-century observer, Heinrich von Bülow, that strategy should refer to any military measures taken beyond the range of the enemy's weapons, while tactics referred to those taken within that range. Yet the original etymology is a useful corrective to the tendency to assume that strategy refers simply to the conduct of military operations on a large scale. Its most essential meaning points to the intellectual and practical reconciliation of military means and political ends. For Clausewitz, strategy was ‘the use of combats for the purposes of the war’. Liddell Hart, similarly, said it was ‘the art of distributing and applying military means to fulfill the ends of policy’.

Political Dictionary: strategy

From the Greek, ‘generalship’. In game theory, the sense of the distinction between ‘strategic’ and ‘tactical’ is retained. A strategy is a plan for dealing with every possible move by the other player(s) at every stage in the game. The number of strategies open to a player in a game of any complexity is astronomical. Even in a trivial game such as noughts-and-crosses (tic-tac-toe) the first player has nine legal opening moves. To each of the second player's eight legal responses the first player has seven legal replies, thus 504 strategies for the first two moves alone, and a total of 20,160 (9 × 8 × 7 × 6 ×  5 × 4 × 3) strategies for the complete game. Most of these strategies would of course be extremely silly, and many of them are identical because of the rotational symmetry of the game. However, the example shows that analysis of strategies must depend on ruthlessly eliminating all but a tiny number of them. The usual way of doing this is to ask what is the best strategy against the best possible strategy by one's opponent(s). If everybody is playing a strategy such that nobody can better his or her chances by unilateral departure from his or her own strategy, the game is said to be in equilibrium and the players' strategies are called equilibrium strategies.

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia: strategy

In warfare, coordinated application of all the forces of a nation to achieve a goal. In contrast to tactics, strategy's components include a long-range view, the preparation of resources, and planning for the use of those resources before, during, and after an action. The term has expanded far beyond its original military meaning. As society and warfare have steadily grown more complex, military and nonmilitary factors have become more and more inseparable in the conduct of war and in programs designed to secure peace. In the 20th century, the term grand strategy, meaning the art of employing all the resources of a nation or coalition of nations to achieve the objects of war (and peace), steadily became more popular in the literature of warfare and statecraft.

Sports Science and Medicine: strategy

The art of planning a campaign. The term is usually used in a military context, but it has been adopted in sport to describe the overall game plan of coaches and managers. Compare tactics.

Wikipedia: strategy

A strategy is a long term plan of action designed to achieve a particular goal, most often "winning". Strategy is differentiated from tactics or immediate actions with resources at hand by its nature of being extensively premeditated, and often practically rehearsed.

The word derives from the Greek word stratēgos, which derives from two words: stratos (army) and ago (ancient Greek for leading). Stratēgos referred to a 'military commander' during the age of Athenian Democracy.

http://www.answers.com/strategy

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Strategy is the use of tactics to achieve a desired goal or outcome. A tactic is an action to solve a short term goal. Strategy is the use of many tactics in a coordinated effort to achieve a long term goal.

Strategy does not mean to have a knowledge of something. A better term to use for that would be "expertise."

Example:

After many years of advanced studies, the anthropologist's "expertise" regarding fields of ancient languages was unrivaled.

• 1 decade ago

In simple words the Meaning of strategy is :

plans or methods created for the purpose of achieving a goal

• Sissy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

1 N-VAR

A strategy is a general plan or set of plans intended to achieve something, especially over a long period.

Next week, health ministers gather in Amsterdam to agree a strategy for controlling malaria...

What should our marketing strategy have achieved?...

= policy

2 N-UNCOUNT

Strategy is the art of planning the best way to gain an advantage or achieve success, especially in war.

I've just been explaining the basic principles of strategy to my generals.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

A strategy is like a game plan - you know what you have to do and you know how you are going to go about it.

Soooo

If I was going to take an exam, you might ask me what my strategy is to pass that exam. I might tell you what I am going to revise and how I am going to prepare...this would be my strategy.

If I was going to hit the christmas sales, I might have a strategy of how I am going to get to the bargains first before everyone else....it would be my plan.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes,you are wrong.Strategy is a plan of action intended to accomplish a specific goal.

So it is not having knowledge of something,it is actually having a plan.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.