Why Detroit?

why has Detroit been blessed with so many great musicians?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Detroit is a very diverse place with a lot of different cultures. It has a lot of soul, passion, money, poverty, history, and people of all kinds. It just has a history in music. Places known for musical talent or a history of musicians will probably produce more musicians. White folks just like to rock out in Detroit because we're a hard city full of rockers and partiers. Not that other cities aren't necessarily, but Detroit just has that mindset. Detroit is historically known for it's dominant role in America's drug trade, so black folks (and obviously white folks, hispanics, a sh*t ton of immigrants of all kinds) from the inner city are more likely to have money and thus more likely to be able to start a hip hop career. There's a lot of both black music culture and white music culture in Detroit that we take pride in and I think that influences young Michiganders greatly. It also helps that we're 8th in state populations. The top 7 probably produce a lot of musical talent too, just different types. New York has a lot of rappers, Cali has a lot of musicians in general, Texas has a lot of rappers, country singers, etc. Detroit is just known for rock and rap as well so we keep doing it and doing it right. I guess we are blessed in that respect.

• 1 decade ago

I think as time goes on the future ones are influenced by the past and it is just a way of life. Some make, some don't. Just like country music in Nashville or Jazz in New Orleans, Detroit has its roots deeply planted in many different genres of music.

It may be something in the water :)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Detroit and it's surrounding areas just seem to be one of those places that produces talented people.

Detroit is a musical and athletic breeding ground.

• 5 years ago

Great city

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

hardship and pain and suffering can be an inspiration for great music or other creative outlets....in other words "detroit is a shithole, lets feel better by makin some kickass tunes"

• 1 decade ago

Look at the history, deep into it and you tell me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.