Julie

bpa in bottles?

i was just curious how many of you have switched to using bpa free bottles? this is my first baby andim primarily breastfeeding,and ill buy bpa free bottles for when my husband has to feed her, but im having a hard time with the whole subject...i have many young nieces and nephews that have been on normal bottles in the past couple of years and they are fine... what supposeidly does it do to the babies?

when did all the bpa panic start?

Favorite Answer

The BPA panic started about a year ago, the data has been present for much longer, but not in public knowledge. There is evidence that it will cause fertility problems with too much exposure.

this site is great, its run by an RN nurse and she has really researched this and can really help you pick out a good bottle.

http://thesoftlanding.wordpress.com/

My feeling is better safe than sorry. If it causes fertility problems, obviously you are not going to see noticeable effects in young children around you.

It doesnt have to be expensive either. Walmart sells a parent's choice BPA free plastic bottle that sells for 2.88 for a pack of three.

Evenflo sells a bpa free product as well.

I think I am going to go with the sassy MAM univent. They have them in drugstores and the grocery store. and are middle of the road as far as expense wise.

You can also look into BornFree, Green to Grow, and ThinkBaby for more expensive options.

Dr.Browns regular bottles have BPA in them. They have just recently released a bpa free plastic version, and I mean very recently. Most of thier stuff has BPA in it.

For some people that think its a scam, they should personally read the research before saying that. I actually READ the reseach and I have a degree with a background in research and it is very valid. you cant say its a scam if you are ignorant about the facts, plus, depending on your age, your parents probably fed you with a glass bottle. No BPA in glass.

Also, its only the FDA saying that they are safe, and guess what? It has been discovered that the FDA has ties with the plastic industry. hmmm, wonder why they are saying its still safe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-raeburn/fda-mak...

I switched to bpa free bottles when my son was 9 months old. I guess with everything going on about the lead found on toys, this bpa is another scare.

Supposedly, bpa raises a risk of infertility, certain cancers and behavioral problems found in children like, autism and hyperactivity.

especially the rise in the childhood behavioral problems, is the reason why I switched. I also stopped buying toys from popular toy makers and went with a european company who makes wood toys.

I really can't explain why certain kids are affected by this and others aren't.

Now a days, we want to process stuff fast and easy, no matter how its made. almost everything we buy is in plasics. I hear, that plastics #2 HDPE and #5PP are the best.

Most baby food packaged in plastic containers are not BPA free, so I would watch out there. Buy glass to be safe.

I had all Dr Browns bottles which I loved because my son's gas went away. Since the BPA scare (I do think it's best to be cautious even though it's probably not that harmful) I bought all Born Free bottles and was so happy that I was able to use the parts and nipples from Dr. Browns wide necks on the Born Free! Problem solved. My baby has no gas and no BPA.

Don't stress too much yet. There have only been studies done on animals thus far, not humans. And the effects do not always translate well from animals to humans. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. The best thing to do now is to get rid of all plastic containers that contain BPA, and never heat anything in plastic period. A while back, I switched out all my old plastic lunch bowls with glass ones to heat in. It's a pain, but if it'll make us safer in the long run, then that's good. The same is true for bottled water. Even if you, yourself, don't heat the bottle, it could have been subjected to extreme temperatures in transit. Ok, sorry for the school lesson. Bottom line, don't stress too much, because the stress is worse for you than the compounds in the plastic. Just play it safe from now on. And don't beat yourself up, because a lot of people have used, and still do use, these products. You're not alone.

They are saying that the chemical bpa affects hormone levels. leading to early puberty and other issues. I switched after I heard about it. The bpa free bottles can be just as cheap as regular ones depending on the brand. I bought evenflo, 3 pack 9 oz bottles cost $3, same as regular bottles. I bought mine at babiesrus, but they are starting to carry them in a lot of stores now. I think its better to not risk the chemicals getting to your baby and just buy them. :)

Baby bottles containing BPA have been banned in Canada... don't know where you live. The major brands are BPA free.

• Ahimsa

From what I understand, the danger of those chemicals is in what it could do to them in the future not in the present or even next couple of years. The toxins stay in the system and can lead to various cancers, early onset puberty, diabetes, obesity, and ADHD and similar behavioral and neurological disorders. The biggest problem with them is that they are capable of actually altering gene function.

Look for polyethyelene bottles instead of those made with BPA.

I bought BPA bottles before all the fuss, the info was already out there. I googled it and found that the drop ins are BPA free, so thats what I've had.

Source(s): EDIT++ the big scare came about 2 months ago, anyways it was in the last 3 months cause my daughter was born 3 months ago and it was after she was born. but before that the information was already on the net.
  • Ashley

there is no evidence or scientific facts that bpa harms humans. it is basically just something that sounds scary and a kind of fad, every kid i know has used AVENT bottles which have bpa if warmed with high heat and so do i, our children are fine. no need to stress sweetie, if it really bothers you, dont heat the bottles use room temp bottled water :)

i use playtex bottles with the little disposable bags. i dont know if my daughters bottles are bpa free and honestly i think this bpa thing is just another scam. because i was bottle fed and this whole little thing was never heard of.

Source(s): my daughter is now 6 months old and totally healthy