Diabetic with kidney issues- help?

I've had Type 1 diabetes for almost 19 years. Since beginning nursing school, my blood glucose levels have been running VERY high (stress-related and hard to adjust for!)

My last A1c was 9.5 and my Micro Albumin level was >300 mg/L, indicating albuminuria. My U-Creatinine level was >139 mg/G (very high), and my GFR was 69.7 mL/min, indicating stage 2 (mild) kidney damage. I'm very concerned, of course. My doctor took me off Lisinopril about a year ago and I'm wondering if going back on it will help the albuminuria....? I do not have high BP. Also, should I be eating a low protein diet? My Total Protein was 7.6 g/dL (normal). Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Thanks. I've already contacted my Dr., but I just thought I'd check on here to see if any "medical folks" had any advice until my appt.

Does anyone know anything further about whether ACE inhibitors can help reverse this or a low-protein diet?

Favorite Answer

You are doing the right thing by seeing your doctor. To answer your question in the meantime, I would limit the amount of protein you consume until your visit.

I have stage three kidney disease and my doctor advises me to limit my daily intake to reduce further damage.

I'm not a doctor, but cutting back on the protein until you are told otherwise won't harm you, and it may help.

Best of luck to you!

Source(s): Type 1 for 40 yrs

1

Source(s): Heal Kidney Disease Naturally : http://KidneyCure.zourg.com/?rHja

2

Source(s): I Cured My Diabetes : http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?GJWY

3

Source(s): Kidney Health Solutions http://teres.info/KidneyHealth

I work in a hospital, and have diabetes also, but I agree having an appointment with a good endocrinologist would be your best bet for good information. You probably know more about the lab values then most of us. I would follow up soon though, not to be an alarmist, but I have been treating a patient in sub-acute rehab for two months now who is awaiting a kidney transplant. Even with frequent dialysis she feels pretty lousy while waiting. I would get seen ASAP.

Source(s): just recommending to go to a professional rather than ask on this site, this condition is serious and people who answer may or may not know what they are talking about. Sorry I could not be more helpful.
  • RBRN

You really need to consult your health provider. Urine protein is the byproduct of tissue destruction in the body. Whenever an organ has incurred damage this is what happens. Kidneys do fail as a result of diabetes. If you want to live, you need to make some fast changes. Nursing school is extremely stressful, been there, but is it worth your life? Take whatever steps are necessary to nip this in the bud now.

Source(s): RN

It is clear that diabetes can lead to kidney disease, but just why high blood sugars should damage the glomeruli is unclear. High blood pressure (hypertension) is a known risk factor for kidney disease and people with diabetes are prone to hypertension. The renin-angiotensin system - which helps regulate blood pressure - is also thought to be involved in the development of diabetic nephropathy. Other risk factors include cigarette smoking and family history. Diabetic nephropathy progresses steadily despite medical intervention. However, treatment can significantly slow the rate of damage.

Diagnosis methods

Diabetic nephropathy is diagnosed using a number of tests including:

* Urine tests - to check protein levels. An abnormally high level of protein in the urine is one of the first signs of diabetic nephropathy.

* Blood pressure - regular checks for raised blood pressure are necessary. Elevated blood pressure is caused by diabetic nephropathy and also contributes to its progression.

* Blood tests - to check the degree of kidney function.

* Biopsy - a small tag of tissue is removed from the kidney, via a slender needle, and examined in a laboratory. This is usually only performed when there is doubt about whether kidney damage is due to diabetes or to another cause.

* Kidney ultrasound - enables the size of the kidneys to be imaged and allows the arteries to the kidneys to be checked for narrowing that can cause decreased kidney function.

Treatment options

There is no cure for diabetic nephropathy. Treatment must become ever more aggressive as the kidneys deteriorate towards failure. Medical options include:

* Prevention - this is the best form of treatment and includes strictly controlling blood glucose levels and blood pressure.

* Medications - including medications to reduce high blood pressure, particularly angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers to curb kidney damage.

* Dialysis - or artificial kidney treatment. End stage kidney failure is the failure of the kidney to function at all. Dialysis involves either shunting the patient’s blood through a special machine (haemodialysis) that helps remove the wastes while preserving water and salts, or removing wastes through fluid introduced into the abdomen (peritoneal dialysis). Dialysis is required several times every week for the rest of the person’s life.

* Kidney transplant - a healthy donor kidney, obtained either from someone who has died or from a relative or friend, replaces the function of the diseased kidneys.

Risk reduction strategies

A person with diabetes can reduce their risk of diabetic nephropathy, or at least delay its onset, in a number of ways including:

* Strictly controlling blood sugar levels.

* Making sure that blood pressure is well controlled.

* Avoiding non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS).

* Treating urinary tract infections promptly with antibiotics.

* Drinking plenty of non-alcoholic fluids, preferably water.

* Avoiding medical treatments that stress the kidneys, such as x-rays requiring the injection of contrast dyes.

* Having regular tests to ensure the health of your kidneys.

you can check out this site for more information

http://diabetes-complications.blogspot.com/

Heal Kidney Disease Forever : http://www.NaturallyGo.com/Help

The best person to answer this would be someone at a Diabetic Clinic, doctor/nurse/nutritionist...

4