Snake asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Handgun advice?

I have several handguns but none that will take a silencer. I am wanting to find something like a desert eagle or something else with power that will take a silencer and most of the technologies available to handguns: lasers, lights, etc... I am also trying to find other good sites that I can buy guns off of, there are some that I know of but i'm looking for more, so if you know of any sites like this please list them.

-Thanks in advance.

Here where I live we can buy silencers so I don't see how they can be illegal.

• ranb40
    Favorite Answer

A much better place to ask this question is at http://www.silencertests.com . The most powerful handgun I have seen suppressed is the 45 ACP. It is possible to suppress the DE 44 mag, but you will need to buy the extended barrel and have it threaded.

The silencer will not do anything to reduce the noise of the supersonic bullet and the DE is not going to function properly with subsonic ammo. That said, a good silencer (if you can get one custom made) will reduce muzzle blast by at least 20 decibels or 100 times. A custom made silencer for the DE is going to cost big bucks, more than $500, and you still need to pay the $200 tax to the ATF and wait 1-2 months for approval. A much better choice is the 9mm, 40 S&W, or the 45 ACP. Check out http://www.subguns.com for dealer info.

The word silencer is a legal term, so it is perfectly acceptable to use even if suppressor better describes what it does. Those of you who claim that silencers are illegal in the USA are too dishonest or naive to post on his forum, please grow up.

Ranb

Source(s): I design and make silencers on ATF form 1's.

I dont think you can silence a Desert Eagle. You can check impactguns.com and see what they have available. You have to make sure the gun is capable of handling a silencer so they have to have the threaded barrel to accomodate the silencer. My advice, look into the USP 5in model as its designed with that in mind.

I assume you mean "suppressor". There is no such thing as a "silencer". SigSauer and HK both make a few pistols that have a threaded barrel to accept a suppressor. 9mm, .357 Sig, .40S&W, .45ACP are cartridges that you should be looking at if you want stopping power. There are plenty of .22 pistols that can accept a can also but those are meant for plinking where you don't want to wear hearing protection.

Putting a silencer on a Desert Eagle is as smart as firing it one handed. In other words, its not. For silenced pistols keep 9mm. Anything else just doesn't make sense. Even .45 is too loud when silenced. Just use 9mm, or .38ACP. Thats my say.

When did having a silencer on a handgun become legal?

• In the US with the right license you can own silencers (a misnomer) just like full auto weapons.

Vet-USAF / NRA member and I VOTE / Gun owner for life