Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 decade ago

Can your GPS show the location of police cars?

I heard that you can have the location of the police cars around you show up on your GPS by using their own radio frequencies against them. I am not a very computer savy person, but I have heard of this being done. I was wondering how it would work if anybody out there knew.

Update:

Well I heard you can convert their radio signals into a point the gps can display, but you would have to make some sort of decoder I suppose, again I'm not fully certain,just that was pretty sweet and was wondering.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

no

• 4 years ago

Police Car Locator

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Is it possible to track police cars? probably. Can any aftermarket GPS unit perform this task now. NO.

You will need a dispatching AVL type software running on some sort of WiFi / GPRS / 3G wireless system like they use for TomTom to track their vehicles. This is if they allow you to do so.

It is not practical nor safe for any public safety agency to allow the public to track their locations.

Even the police department have a hard time convincing their police offer to allow the dispatch to track them because these officers sometimes are out of position and not where they are suppose to be, or they can still be at a restaurant eating when they call in as they are back on duty.

You can track Red-light camera because they are stationary and you can mark these positions or down load the POI for them.

I doubt you will be able to find a software in a PND that will allow you to track police vehicles. Just think what all the burglaries will do knowing when a cruiser will be rolling up and when.

Short answer is NO, it can't be done. Sorry.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can your GPS show the location of police cars?

I heard that you can have the location of the police cars around you show up on your GPS by using their own radio frequencies against them. I am not a very computer savy person, but I have heard of this being done. I was wondering how it would work if anybody out there knew.

Source(s): gps show location police cars: https://tr.im/DB5Uc
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

No there not just like your GPS with a different reciever pattern. There is an APP for a police tracker software but only if your using a device that uses python as it's software base. I use an APP on my Pioneer GPS unit in my car and the police show up as blue dots along the high way. In town I don't see them on my GPS until they are in front of me. I will still use my radar laser detector just to be safe, because I like to go not to fast but GO! For all the Colorado Drivers you need to be pay more attention to the road and be more curtious to other drivers!

• 1 decade ago

In some areas in USA, the police cars have locator that they BASE can use to find them if the policeman is in trouble. Some companies have found a way to detect the signal - if it is near by.

But that has nothing to do with GPS.

Good Luck....

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avkM2

Yes, but it requires a special GPS unit that works two ways. The squads must be fitted with a transmitter that shows their location using a GPS in the dispatch center.

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Police Car Tracker

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

GPS systems work by satalite of cource. But the frequencie of the GPS system cops use are top secret. You can find out if a cop is monitoring ur speed by having a spare radio detecter with you in the car. But thats illegal in some states. In other words, no, it is mostly impossible to detect police cars by GPS. Good luck! ; )

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Mine doesn't. I have a $300 Garmin.

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

This is an interesting question, and one that has been the source of confusion for me for many years.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.