Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

We could be drilling offshore tomorrow, but Bush won';t let us. WHY?

There are 2 bans on drilling oil in the US. in 1981, CONGRESS passed a ban on drilling in FEDERALLY protected areas. This is now federal law.

In 1990, Bush Sr. signed and EXECUTIVE order banning offshore drilling at the request of Jeb Bush, and other FLorida republicans.

Now congress can change the federal law, but they won't. that means no anwar. But congress cannot do anything about executive orders.

However BUSH, with one signature, can recind his fathers executive order, and we can be drilling the next day. why is Bush refusing to allow the US to drill offshore?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Bush to propose end to offshore oil drilling ban

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Bush says that he doesn't want to rescind the Executive Order until Congress acts. He knows that Congress won't lift the ban so he doesn't have to rescind his father's order and look bad. I think if Floridians, for instance, want drilling off of their coast, then they should have it.

The fact that the oil companies are not even using most of the leases off the coasts that they already have means that more permissions to drill is just giving the oil companies more control. There should be stipulations that they drill or lose the leases and that they actually put effort into refining more oil.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If Bush tore up that executive order, it still won't make offshore drilling legal. Executive orders aren't law per se - they are directives issued to the executive branch by the head of the executive branch. They cannot undo Congressional legislation.

It is still the Congressional ban that matters; only Congress can make it legal.

Government 101.

• 1 decade ago

Even with a presidential order in place, drilling offshore could not even begin to start for at least 5 to 7 years. There are years off environmental impact studeies, core samples and state regulations to muddle through. The fastest way to domestic oil is to drill in already apporoved sites. There are currently nearly ten thousand approved sites that are stiik not even in the process of building rigs to begin drilling.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it actually will take a LONG time to build the plants to start drilling. If we did lift the ban on offshore drilling it could take up to 5 years for one plant to be finished maybe less if they push it. So even if they did lift offshore drilling then it would probably make oil spike up for a short period of time because they now need to spend billinos of dollars building plants to manufacture the oil and drill it out of the ground. However obviously once these plants start doing what they were built to do then oil would then lower probably quite a bit because we would rely less on importing.

• 1 decade ago

That was Bush senior, the current President, his son has tried to get congress to remove the ban on drilling. Thing is he wants congressional approval for what he does. Something he is not likely to get.

One interesting point, is that we had a Democratic president before president Bush, one that could have vacated the executive order just as easily. One wonders if why do we expect a Republican to do what a Democrat won't.

• 3 years ago

I stay in San Diego CA the place gas is now $3.40 5 in line with gallon. With over 0.5 our oil being imported from different aspects of the rustic and our no longer common emissions regulations, there's little question in my thoughts that gas would be $4.00 in line with gallon with the aid of the middle of summer. I pay over $80 to refill my spouse's Tahoe and $60 to refill my BMW m3. with the aid of drilling interior the gulf and in Alaska, we could cut back our dependence on distant places oil until eventually they decide a thank you to construct an electric powered motor vehicle that doesn't look like a dork-cellular! magnificent to think of that there might ever be an afternoon whilst we'd look back and think of that $2.50 a gallon for gas sounds low-fee!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Off shore oil drilling is prohibited by law; only congress can change that. And the party in charge of the US house and US Senate refuse to do so. Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi both tend to be Democrats. Give their national leader, Howard Dean, a call.

Dean Dongs! Each one.

• 1 decade ago

This is a perfect example of how ignorant and pig-like humans can be. Drilling offshore is not going to offer any noticable relief. The refineries are responsible for the high price. BUT ANYWAY....it is sad that we are that dependant on oil that we will destroy our world to feed our addiction. We need to find alternative sources of energy NOW before it is too late.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have no idea where you heard these absurd statements but Bush is the one trying to get the bans lifted so that we can use our own resources!!! It's Congress and the libs that will not allow it!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.