Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Nephilim...?

I watched "The Naked Archeologist" this morning and was curious that he was translating the ancient Nephilim as "the lesser people". He suggested that when Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals migrated into the same area they were not yet far enough separated as a species to disallow the possibility of cross breeding and that in fact this took place. The result was a degenerate race or a "lesser" race. The only problem is that in order for this to have taken place, either man would have to have had a way to pass the knowledge that this sort of breeding could happen through the eras for some 30 thousand years (the last appearance of Neanderthals in the fossil record that we know of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal) OR the Bible would have to have writings in it that were recorded at that time in history. Seeing as the earliest known writings are only around 5500 years old, how could this be? Did he just make the connection in the Bible with Nephilim based on nothing? Not good science.

Update:

gwhiz1052 - I usually enjoy his program as well, although I am a firm unbeliever, I am nevertheless greatly intrigued by the Bible as it holds some of the earliest known writings (if you read the correct versions - the new ones are horribly mistranslated). As a scientist with interest in paleontology, archaology and sociology I found it very disturbing that he would make such a leap of logic as well.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Jewish Torah has a lot more to it than just the Written Torah part of it that the Christians have. Which is why they are unaware that there were other human type beings populating the earth at the time of Adam and Eve.

The rest of the Torah (the Oral Torah, written down finally in the days of the Babylonian exile) describes human-like beings who were on the earth at the time of Adam and Eve - in fact, this is who Nachash (the serpent in the garden of eden story) was. He walked on two legs, was intelligent, could speak, and was said to have been the most cunning of his people - one of their leaders in fact.

These people are described as having the level of animal soul - in Judaism there are several levels of soul. There is the animal soul that virtually everything created by God has, it is the life energy that animates our limbs, beats our hearts, etc.

This is the level of soul that these other human-type beings had.

Adam and Eve were the first ones given the higher levels of soul that human beings would have. This is why they are considered to be the first people, rather than those who were already here.

Cain, for instance, went out to one of their cities (called the land of the Wanderers, East of Eden) after he killed Abel. God put a mark on his forehead to protect him from being killed by others who were on the earth at that time. As Cain says "They will kill me if they see me and know what I have done". Who? There were supposedly no other people on earth but Adam, Eve, and Cain at that time. This is who, the other human-type creatures.

Many Jewish sages have speculated that these "others" were indeed the Neanderthals, but no one has been able to prove it scientifically yet. The Naked Archealogist has actually located a cave in which Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens were found to have been living together, side by side, indicating that they could have interbred - and this backs up the Torah where it teaches that this did indeed happen.

Source(s): me, Jewish
  • 1 decade ago

You may find some answers in this direction:

The Sumerian tablets are accurate in their descriptions of the planets, that modern scientist didn`t know until thousands of years later, so Sumerian mythology may not be a myth after all. the History channel did have a show about this, but the subject is not talked about much because it could destroy religion as we know it.

These Gods were called the Nephilim - Nefilim - Elohim - Annunaki meaning "Those who from Heaven to Earth came." In Sumerian Mythology they were a pantheon of good and evil gods and goddesses who came to Earth to create the human race.

It was Enki and his sister Ninhursag who performed the "genetic manipulation" [breeding with the lesser evolved (Neandertals vs Homo Sapien for instance?] which resulted in the Adama (the ancient name for the first human, Adam and Eve). Humanity was conditioned to be in the service of the gods, but Enki had another plan, which set off a continual series of events, which most adversarial myths, concerning the war over the humans, between Enki and Enlil, were fashioned. Enki desired to feed the humans the fruit of the tree of Knowledge. This he knew was the thing which would open the eyes of man, and multi-dimensionalize his consciousness. This did not go over well with the Anunnaki, and Enki was commanded not to allow us this fruit. It was Enlil that attempted to scare the humans into not eating the fruit by telling them that, if they ate it, they would die.

http://www.geocities.com/serpentofgnosis/Annunaki....

Genesis Revisited

http://www.scribd.com/doc/33965/Zecharia-Sitchin-G...

The Lost Book of Enki

http://www.scribd.com/doc/248787/Zecharia-Sitchin-...

• BJ
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The Christian disciple Jude wrote about them when he mentioned “the angels that did not keep their original position but forsook their own proper dwelling place.” (Jude 6) Why did they come to the earth? What wrong desire did Satan put in their heart to get them to leave the fine positions they had in heaven?

The Bible lets us know when it says: “The sons of the true God began to notice the daughters of men, that they were good-looking; and they went taking wives for themselves, namely, all whom they chose.” (Genesis 6:2) Yes, the angels put on fleshly bodies, and they came to earth to have sexual relations with beautiful women. But such love affairs were wrong for angels. This was an act of disobedience. The Bible indicates that what they did was just as wrong as the homosexual acts of the people of Sodom and Gomorrah. (Jude 6, 7) What resulted?

Well, babies were born to these angels and their wives. But the babies were different. They kept growing bigger until they became giants, wicked giants. The Bible calls them “mighty ones who were of old, the men of fame.” These giants tried to force everyone to be bad as they were. As a result, the Bible says that “the badness of man was abundant in the earth and every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only bad all the time.” (Genesis 6:4, 5) So Jehovah brought the Flood. The giants, or “Nephilim,” and all the wicked people were drowned. But what happened to the angels that had come to earth?

They did not drown. They put aside their fleshly bodies and returned to heaven as spirit persons. But they were not allowed to become part of God’s organization of holy angels again.

Since the time of the Flood, God has not permitted these demon angels to take on fleshly bodies, so they cannot directly satisfy their unnatural sexual desires. Yet they can still exercise dangerous power over men and women.

Source(s): Reasoning
  • 1 decade ago

I am very surprised to hear this,He is usually very intelligent and He so often confirms the Bible.The Bible calls them sons of gods and they produced giants, men of renown.I wish they would rerun that this does not at all sound like Simca.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • rhanjo
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Genesis 6 and Jude vs 6

• 1 decade ago

The Nephilim accourding to the bible are giants men created when the sons of god reproduced with humans and created a race of "heros" they are in both greek mytholigy and the bible. They are mentioned in two parts of the bible both in genisus.

• Jay Z
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Neanderthals were post-flood. Nephilim were Pre.

• Tamm
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I'm not quite sure I understand you exactly, but are you referring to the fallen angels that breed with the women? Giants were produced because of this.

• 1 decade ago

if you are really interested in the topic...

http://khouse.org/topical_bible_study/nephilim/

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.