Laptop runs off battery even though A/C is plugged in!! Disharges, then switches off?

Hi

My Laptop has strangely stopped working off AC power. Normally its the battery that goes on these things!

In this case however the battery seems fine and charges normally, however when using it, even when plugged in, the battery slowly discharges and then the laptop switches off even though its plugged in?

Does anyone know what could be the matter or if there is anything I can do to fix it?

The laptop is a 2005 gateway model and does not work at all without the battery plugged in.

Do I need a new battery or A/C pack, or could it be something more sinister??

Cheers

Ben

Best Answer

Charger for sure is broke - Batteries are good for about 3 years.

• nathan

it could be more sinister.

A common thing i've seen fail on laptops is a failure where the A/C pack plugs into the laptop. It wears out due to use.

do this quick test. Take out the battery from the laptop and try to run the laptop off straight A/C. If it runs, you know it's the battery. (they do go as well). If it doesn't, you know it's either the power pack or the circuit from the power pack to the laptop.

The only way to test if it's the power pack if you have a similar one. I'd go to best buy or something similar that sells power packs. Tell them, you think the A/C pack is going, and you want to test it. Run the test without the battery in again. see if you have a problem.

I suspect it's the circuit that feeds the DC power into the battery. I've seen this fail numerous times. It's cause the more times you plug it in, and unplug it, it wears out the little wires connecting it to the power supply/battery circuit. The only way to repair that problem is a new motherboard.

It could probably be because you have too many things plugged into your computer such as a joystick or usbs plugged in, otherwise check if your computer in on overclock, and if it is, stop the overclock, or if its really hot, i believe that the fan goes into overdrive and uses up more energy.

The problem is that the powersupply cuts off some of the electricity that comes from the outlet so that the computer doesn't get damaged by high volts but your laptop must be using more electricity than the power supply provides and therefore uses electricity from the battery

i'm not sure exactly what you should do, but call the manufacturer, the call number should be on their website I think.

GOOD LUCK :]

There could be something wron with your battery... If the power runs through the battery it could be getting blocked along the way by some thing.

Source(s): Similar problem

Oh,same here my laptop always do this stuffs it get hot and just stop but it back to live again xD (it's my fault anyway:p).

I think it's all about the battery :\

May you need a new one.

I'm gonna say it's the battery! Those laptops batteries are touchy.

• Check your power adapter

I had the same problem just leave it charging in there for a week or two

your ac adapter may be broken