Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 1 decade ago

May I know life expectancy for those who went through coronary artery bypass surgery?

Providing that they make conscious efforts to maintain healthy life. Using vein for this surgery affect the patient's life expectancy?

Best Answer

Typically, the saphenous vein from the leg and the left internal mammary artery (LIMA) are used for the bypass. Veins used either have their valves removed or are turned around so that the valves in them do not occlude blood flow in the graft. LIMA grafts are longer-lasting than vein grafts, both because the artery is more robust than a vein and because, being already connected to the aorta, the LIMA need only be grafted at one end. For this reason, the LIMA is usually grafted to the left anterior descending artery (LAD), which supplies the left ventricle, the part of the heart that pumps oxygenated blood around the body. Alternatively, an artery such as the radial artery from the arm, may be used in place of a vein. This is believed to prolong the life of the grafts but this has yet to be proven.

Prognosis following CABG depends on a variety of factors, but successful grafts typically last around 10-15 years.

Source(s): I am a doctor.

I had sextuple bypass surgery for 10 blockages 22 years ago in 1993 at age 36 at Hoag Hospital, Newport Beach, CA. They did something right as I am still on that first set of veins and artery. Last angiogram 13 years after surgery showed all bypasses 100% open. I'm lucky since I have normal to low blood pressure and of course I do my part by not smoking, eating fairly healthy overall, exercise and am not overweight.

Source(s): Actual patient!
  • samaha

Sextuple Bypass Surgery

My grandfather had a triple bypass (they used veins from his leg). This was at least 10 years ago, and he's still going strong. But, he takes his meds, goes to his appointments, exercises daily, and eats healthy. Way to go grandpa!

It depends on the patency of the grafts and the left ventricular function. If both are fine, it is excellent. In general arterial graft (LIMA) has better patency rates than vein graft.

• Alicia

Prayers; truly and really fetch the grace of the lord and the god of self; for helping the self; but they do so only; if they are performed truthfully with the real knowledge, power and ability of; either participating or following or performing the righteous acts of devotion, meditation and worship; by self; religiously with the real faith, focus and religion of god and lord alone for mankind in self; instead of those of self alone for god and the lord of self. Any body can pray for any body; truthfully as said above; but for ensuring that the grace is delivered; the other for whom such prayer is being performed; also needs to be either a participant in acts of such prayers; or a follower of the practises of the acts of such prayer; earlier in the life of self. If the seeker of the grace is neither as said above; then the praying person should have the ability of intelligence of the skills and talent of that knowledge and power; which can deliver the virtues of the righteous acts of devotion, meditation and worship; to the seeker; for ensuring that such seeker also earns the grace of the god and the lord in his self. Such ability of intelligence of the skills and talent of such knowledge and power; are rearely found in very few people only;