Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

walk off weight?

my mother and i walk anywhere between 2-4 miles almost every day. (sometimes i come home and walk another 1 or 2 on the tredmill). i'm hoping to get fit and healthy this summer, so i also do cardio things at home. but, i do have a couple questions ..

1-can you really "walk off the weight"?

2-walking 2 miles, vs. running 1. which would be better? running because your heart rate goes up faster, walking cause its longer? i dont know :(

3-is it better to walk a mile, run a mile, walk a mile, run a mile, etc. or, walk a mile, walk a mile, run a mile, run a mile? which ones, and why?

thank all of you! :)

i do eat healthy. me and my mom have created little things to help us, lol. thanks for everyones answers!

Best Answer

Brisk walking is the healthiest. Running puts stress on your knees and other parts of your body. Just keep walking at a fast steady pace and you will loose weight!

1. It's possible, as long as you keep your heart rate up and keep building your endurance in addition to maintaining a healthy diet.

2. It really depends on your fitness level. If you have the endurance to run a mile, you should run. This way you'll be able to run further distances. Running burns more calories and creates more muscle tone, but it also puts a lot of stress on your legs and hips.

3. You could do either, but I usually prefer the first: walk a mile, run a mile, walk a mile, etc. This will keep your heart rate going, and you won't feel as tired. Or you could walk a mile, run two miles, then walk another mile. This will give you plenty of warm-up and cool-down time if you're trying to build your endurance.

Walking is better than running, jogging biking, everything. Why? Walking can be controlled more than the more vigerous workouts.

As far as walking off weight, it's by all means a very possible feat. I lost 32 pounds in a year (mind you, I was reluctant to do so, as I was very beefy and strong) by walking. I'd walk 2-4 miles every day, like you stated, and the weight sure enough disappeared.

Mind you, walking is half the challenge. Eating right is a must. No more junk food, fast food, pop, etc. 3 meals a day with all the water you can drink is your best bet. Eating fried chicken? Peel off the skin. Crab legs for Christmas? Toss out the butter. Also, no juice unless it's freshly squeeze. Look on the back of a juice container at the sugar content and you'll know why...

Remember! You're out to make your body look great, and make yourself feel great. Every so often, go ahead and go to your favorite place ot eat as a treat. Some ice cream perhaps. While doing so though, don't forget your goal.

GOOD LUCK!

your doing cardio...which is the best thing you can do for your body.

2 answer number one...yes you can actually walk off your weight.

number 2...it is better 2 run a mile cuase your heart rate is alot higher.

number 3...interval training is good. and will help in your weightloss, and make it 2 where you are in better shape 2 the point where you can run all 4 miles if you wanted 2.

First and foremost, you can't lose weight unless you eat right. You can walk all day, but if you are eating McDonalds it doesn't really matter. That said, walking is a great way to lose weight. I did i after my 1st son was born and I am currently doing it now after my 2nd son. #2 - It is all about your fitness level. If you can run a mile vs. walking, you should do it. #3 - Interval training is very important. It increases your endurance. Weather you walk, walk, run, run or walk, run, walk, run, is up to you. It will not make that much of a difference.

The best thing is walking then jog a little. you have to keep your body guessing. It will get use to u JUST walking. Switch it up walk a mile, run a mile.

well i have been told by doctors that distance maters only not how fast to lose wieght but i also think that running builds more muscle wich fastens your matabolism.