Fresno State, greatest cinderella story in college baseball history?

What do you guys think about this Fresno State team? Was that an amazing feat or what? First team in NCAA history with more then 23 losses to make it to the College World Series. I heard them on the radio doing a comparison to the NCAA basketball tournament. They said it was like Fresno State, a #14 seed to go on and beat a 7 seed in round 1, a 4 seed in round 2, a 1 seed in round 3, a 2 seed in round 4 and another 1 seed in the finals. How crazy is that?

By the way Congrats to Fresno State on a phenominal run.

• Fozzy
    Favorite Answer

With the possible exception of Chaminade ( a Div III school in Hawaii) beating Georgetown (with Patrick Ewing) it might be the greatest Cinderella story in all of college sports. And, it probably is even better because they had to upset team after team after team, whereas most of the other great upsets are a single game.

Great story that I hope would maybe improve the amount of attention that College ball gets down the road.

Yeah good for them. I honestly had no thought at all that they would be in it until they knocked off Rice (who had a great year). After that, I thought there was no way they could be stopped. I'm really happy for them. I was supporting them throughout the CWS final and against UNC. I go to Georgia Tech, and so I'm obviously a GT fan. So I was completely behind Fresno State. I wanted to see the despair on UGA's face when they lost! Hahaha!

Good job to Fresno State though. They deserved it. And their starting pitcher tonight was phenomenal.

Fresno State will be remembered as the team who came out of seemingly nowhere, blew threw the ranks against all odds with everyone putting us down telling us we had no chance and to just give it all up. But we came, hard and with confidence, to win it all. Yes, I believe that this is one heck of a Cinderella story.

Pround Fresno State Bulldog fan

• Audrey

I had to actually think of one that doesn't involve the Canadien .. How about the 90-91 North Stars? #16 seed in the playoffs and took the Penguins to 6 games before losing in the sc finals (if they'd not traded Larry Murphy during the season they probably finish higher in the regular season and maybe win the Cup .. we'll never know) Key stars (no pun intended) on that team included Dave Gagner (father of Sean on the Oilers), also Neal Broten, Jon Casey, Brian Bellows and a 20-year old Mike Modano. I feel old remembering the NORTH Stars in the NORRIS division of the CAMPBELL conference. ps Congrats to Fresno State .. my dad's a Stanford grad ('52) so I was glad to see someone beat Georgia.

Definitely the greatest in college baseball.

I would go on to add maybe top 5 Cinderella stories in sports history!

Oh definitely, they were the last seed and made it past great teams and made it to the CWS. Thats like the Mariners going to the World Series.

They did so good tonight they were beating Georgia like 10 - 0 for a bit ... def a Cinderella story!!!

Source(s): Was at the game

I'm still in shock and incredibly happy at their success.

Hopefully, this will make people take a closer look at the team ranking process and consider more than just a win-loss record and schedule.

Source(s): CSU Fresno alumni
  • Considering I am a Fresno State alum (Class of 1993), I'm pretty damn proud & happy right now. Go Dogs!!!!

I think so...with everything you mentioned i dont see why they wouldnt be consider one of greatest cinderella story in cws history! congrats bulldogs...that is FRESNO STATE BULLDOGS! LOL!