Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

When should a teenage girl start going to the gynecologist?

I'm 17 and I've never been. I've had my period for about 6 years now, and I've never had any problems beyond cramps (usually just the first day of my period). I'm not sexually active (still a virgin). Do I need to see a gynecologist?

Favorite Answer

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends that a girl get her first pelvic exam between the ages of 13 and 15.

• pounds

it incredibly is important to commence going to a gynaecologist once you strengthen into sexually lively or are going to strengthen into sexually lively or turn 18. 15 may be youthful, even with the indisputable fact that it incredibly relies upon. of path, it is in basic terms for a common examination and doubtless a 'script for start administration and any family contributors scientific professional can try this. The gynaecologist is a professional and not probable necessary for common subject concerns like that.

You don't need to see a gynecologist until you reach 20 or if you are sexually active. Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to get checked up every year or two (when not sexually active). Just to make sure your uterus, ovaries, and vagina are all normal.

the gynos say you should go at age 21 or after your first time, whichever is sooner. unless you have problems before either one. good luck!

• Jan H

If you are healthy, and your periods are not giving you any problems, then the best rule of thumb is to wait until you are at least 30. However, because there are so many women who have cancer, it is a good idea if you have any form of cervical or even breast cancer (Actually any kind of cancer) in your family, then it is probably a good idea to start these exams by the age of 25. If you are in anyway concerned, or even suspicious that there might be any problems, then it is ok to schedule an appointment right now! Good luck!

generally they dont reccomend it until you are 18. But you should go so they can test you for cancer and to see if your ovaries are ok.