What is the difference between FAA Part 91 and part 121?

Is there a Reg that explains the difference, other than reading the entire 91 and 121 and trying to figure out the differences?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Part 91 applies to all pilots and aircraft and you will find part 121 will refer back to part 91 for airworthy aircraft, flight planning, inspection requirements and etc. Part 121 is for scheduled air carrier operation unlike part 135, which is on demand air carrier. Scheduled air carries means they have fixed routes and times.

FAR Part 91- General Operations & Flight Rules.

FAR Part121 - Certifications & Operations: Domestic flag, Supplemental air carriers and commercial operator of large aircraft (Scheduled routes).

Part 121 is the guidelines on how the air carrier will write their manuals such as the General Operation Manual (GOM) to how they will perform maintenance on their aircraft under a CASS/CAMP program, what is required to be on the aircraft, pilot times, and lots of other things how the airline will run.

Part 91 tells pilots what they can and cannot do such as operate the aircraft in unairworthy condition, required preflight, what equipment is required on board such as instruments for Day VFR to IFR. Again part 91 is required to be followed by part 121 pilots as well. Best put part 91 is a operations rule all for pilots.

Source(s): A&P/IA Senior Parachute Rigger Aviation Author http://www.stacheair.com
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is the difference between FAA Part 91 and part 121?

Is there a Reg that explains the difference, other than reading the entire 91 and 121 and trying to figure out the differences?

Source(s): difference faa part 91 part 121: https://tr.im/xmYix
  • 1 decade ago

Deepse.. pretty much nailed it, as far as it can be nailed. You could think of it as part 91 being the rules that everyone in the sky has to follow. Part 121 will be an additional set of rules for air carrier operations. On the whole, 121 tends to be a little more restrictive, and has a WHOLE LOT more recordkeeping requirements involved. That's a cursory nutshell explanation. If you're a 121 pilot, you're responsible for applying and operating the appropriate rules for the operation that you're conducting at the time.

Clear as mud?

• Paul M
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

There are hundreds of regs that show the difference.

Maybe thinking about applicability will help.

Part 91 regs are general operating and flight rules.

Part 121 are specific regs to which designated part121 Air carriers must comply with while engaged in the operation of any commercial ( revenue ) flight.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Part 91 Subpart K addresses fractional ownership operations, a large segment of aviation today. I mention that b/c 91k is quite detailed and is far from "Mr. Jones and his Piper Cherokee", to quote one of the other answers. (Consider that Net Jets, for example, operates over 500 jets.) Also, there are certain Part 91 provisions which apply to all civilian flight operations. For example, the prohibition in Part 91 of careless/reckless operation. FAR 91.13. Buzz the beach in that Part 121 Seven Four Seven and you'll probably see at least one Part 91 reference in your Notice of Proposed Certificate Action. For example, here's a link to an NTSB legal opinion involving an alleged violation of 91.13 AND alleged violations of Part 121.

http://www.ntsb.gov/alj/o_n_o/docs/AVIATION/4866.P...

Source(s): ATP with jet type ratings, CFI, CFII, MEI, & Attorney
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Far Part 91

• For me as a reviewer I put in my notes this:

FAR PART 91- General Operations & Flight Rules.

FAR PART121 - Certifications & Operations: Domestic flag, Supplemental air carriers and commercial operator of large aircraft.

By this title headings i kinda have the general picture, i had this notes prior totaking my interview for my FAA A&P.

• 1 decade ago

Wow, that's an insanely broad question. Everything is different, from applicability to duty time limits to operational control and dispatch release to approach minimums based on crew qualifications... What specifically are you looking for? If you need all of the differences, then yes, reading all of the regulations is about the only way to do it. There are hundreds of little differences.

• 1 decade ago

91- Private Flyers (Mr. Jones and his Piper Cherokee)

121 - Scheduled Air Carriers (Horizon, Northwest)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.