Jazz
Jazz asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

Is feminism in general misunderstood?

I mean if you were to ask some random person on the street what they thought of feminism, usually they automatically think of the stereotypical version of feminists--a bunch of male-hating macho lesbians who wan't dominance over men.

But many of the feminists on this forum are not like that at all. I've met several of them on here who I like and respect, I've even met a few who are against unfair gender bias against men as well as women.

Of course there really are some feminists who fit the stereotype and who constantly bi*ch and complain about every little thing, how men are so evil and sexist. Those feminist just annoy me but most of the ones I know simply wan't to be treated as equals.

I dunno, the word feminism itself seems to have multple definitions to different people.

Best Answer

yes there are many areas of it - very comprehensive - many forms of the same idea - for equality . Some feminists are very eloquent and educated and I would speak with them anytime they so wished while others are vulgar and rude who I would not care for. Some will spew hatred and wish harm on men while others speak constructively for inclusion. I do not tolerate men speaking that way - hatred - about women either and avoid them like a plague. So like a lifestyle and value system certain people will generate toward a certain style of speaking and dressing and stick together while others will move toward another. One could use the example of dressy classy people - such as myself in one group while the other casual group stays together more. I mean wearing a golf shirt and dressing nice brings certain people and normally a certain type of person dresses like that while the more ' bohemian ' and wild person will want to be with their own type more often. Birds of a feather flock together even under the same idea - though they express themselves and dress differently and cause misunderstanding of what is the same idea as the other groups focus. There are many groups under the same banner causing confusion but those who can undersand and think critically can tell that they all have the same goals generally speaking.

Source(s): met many through college and university and took courses with some

I would say it is deliberately misunderstood. (Openly admitting to be a female supremacist group just doesn't have the same kind of appeal as claiming to be fighting for "equality" after all). If they were truly for equality of the sexes then the only people who would be anti-feminist would be male chauvinist *******. Remember that saying from back in the 1970s, "You've come a long way, baby"? Well feminism has come a long way from being a movement aiming for equality. This is very easy to notice considering that women in the western world have long had all the same rights as men plus some female-specific special privileges on top of it. Which brings up the glaringly obvious question "Why the bloody hell does feminism continue to be a thing in the western world in 2014?" Clearly it is because equality isn't nearly good enough for them, what they want is outright female supremacy. They already have it in some respects for example in the matter of reproduction and child support, preferential treatment in the court system, enjoying the rights of society without having to register for the draft etc. If feminism had a motto it would be "More than equal rights as men, special privileges above what men have but none of the responsibilities".

No, feminism is not misunderstood.

It is a hateful movement demanding advantages for a certain group of women.

Feminism is not only hateful against all men, including young boys, feminism is also hateful against married women or women with boys, who are considered as traitors of their own gender.

Extremists and zealots in any group get the most attention and define the stereotype in society. Muslims=women hating terrorists, Blacks=low income gang bangers and criminals, Sorority Girls=stupid stuck up princesses...you pick the stereotype and the extremists are the ones who fit the mold. I think that most social groups consist of a wide variety of people and types...the noisy ones that get the media attention define the word "stereotype".

Feminism is misunderstood, mostly by those claiming to be feminists. They want to lump what women liberationists fought so hard for, the right to vote, own property, divorce your husband, etc. in to feminism. Women's libbers fought to be equal with the understanding that men and women were different and both necessary for the family to flourish.

The mess that came from the sexual revolution would make Susan B. Anthony and her peers cringe with disgust. Feminism at its core( if you take the time to read their own literature from the founders of the movement) is not about equality, but domination. I really think if more women who claim to be feminists took the time to do some research wouldn't want the title of feminist hanging over their heads.

I don't know if it is misunderstood so much as misrepresented. Women had to fight for every right they have, from the basic right to decide who they will marry to the right to own property, the right to vote, and now the right to be paid the same as a man for the same work.

I'm not sure why, but all of this threatens some people. As with any movement, there are fringe lunatics, and these are often reported on. The majority of feminists want equality and the right to work as equals, but on the talk radio you'll only hear about those feminists who overstep bounds.

On these forums, yes, feminism is wildly misunderstood and oversimplified. If people would go to the trouble of reading the wikipedia page about feminism, this forum could be a hundred times more productive.

Feminism is about equal rights and equal treatment for men and women.

I'm a feminist, and yes, I do have short hair (I recently shaved it for a breast cancer benefit), but no, I'm not a butch man-hating lesbian. I love my boyfriend of three years very much and I'm pretty obviously heterosexual. I don't want anyone to have dominance over anyone else - I want truly equal treatment for everyone.

Those bad feminists you reference are known as Radical Feminists, and believe me, they are grains of sand on a beach: we (the feminist movement) need them like Christianity needs the Westbaro Baptist Church.

Yes, feminism is certainly misunderstood - but mostly by those claiming to be feminists. Avril is right on.

Feminism, being sex-based and sex-biased, is anti-human. Those who bend the knee to feminism don't get it.

Yes, I think feminism is very much misunderstood, and can have a variety of meanings to different people...

but then the same thing could be said for Christian, Islam, American, Democrat, Republican, Hollywood and anything else.

Yes and that is why I would never assume the label upon myself...I just be me and demand the same amount of respect I give...