Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

good topics for descriptive writing?

have to write 1000 words describing something. which topics can i do it on?

Favorite Answer

I think you can do almost anything, really. In our english lessons we have been asked to do:

- a pond/lake (in winter and summer)

- a room

- a dream place

- a person (who is special to you)

- a view out of a (your bedroom) window

These are some suggestions, and obviously they don't have to be true: you can just make things up. For example I wrote about a room that had loads of pictures in of family and stuff, as well as objects. This gave me a lot of scope, for example the room itself, the photographs (e.g. tattered edges), the objects and their sentimental value, the people, events to do with my family (e.g. going to the park, certain birthdays etc). Similarly, for the view out of the window, I wrote about looking down onto a busy street and talked about the people who walked past, the buildings, the cars, the effect of the sunlight/moonlight, the noise etc. then contrasted it to a scene of mountains and trees and lakes (etc) which I said I could see in the distance.

You could also opt for more straightforward topics like a book/film/object review, or your wardrobe, or, well, anything really....

I hope this can be of some help!

• lanza

Descriptive Paragraph Topics

• Erika

Descriptive Essay Topics

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

good topics for descriptive writing?

Source(s): good topics descriptive writing: https://tr.im/XR3YK

Each and every university scholar recognizes that it s not too easy to compose college descriptive essay topics specifically with regard to most of various reasons. The main attribute of college descriptive essay topics composing is definitely the fact it’s necessary to uncover the creativity and also inspiration with the author’s ideas and also thoughts, discover and also display his or her extraordinary views, and so on. Check out our list Samples of Descriptive Essay Topics and Writing Prompts:

here are some topic suggestions for a descriptive paragraph or essay.

a waiting room

a basketball, baseball glove, or tennis racket

a cell phone

a treasured belonging

a laptop computer

a favorite restaurant

your dream house

your ideal roommate

a closet

your memory of a place that you visited as a child

a locker

an accident scene

a city bus or subway train

an unusual room

a child's secret hiding place

a bowl of fruit

backstage during a play or a concert

a vase of flowers

the scene at a concert or athletic event

an art exhibit

an ideal apartment

your old neighborhood

a small town cemetery

a pizza

a pet

a photograph

a hospital emergency room

a particular friend or family member

a painting

a storefront window

an inspiring view

a work table

a character from a book, movie, or television program

a refrigerator or washing machine

a Halloween costume

Things to Consider as You Write Your Descriptive Essay

Think of an instance that you want to describe.

Why is this particular instance important?

What were you doing?

What other things were happening around you? Is there anything specific that stands out in your mind?

Where were objects located in relation to where you were?

How did the surroundings remind you of other places you have been?

What sights, smells, sounds, and tastes were in the air?

Did the sights, smells, sounds, and tastes remind you of anything?

What were you feeling at that time?

Has there been an instance in which you have felt this way before?

What do you want the reader to feel after reading the paper?

What types of words and images can convey this feeling?

Can you think of another situation that was similar to the one you are writing about? How can it help explain what you are writing about?

Is there enough detail in your essayto create a mental image for the reader?

Conventions of Descriptive Essays Illustrated by Sample Paragraphs

Appealing-to-the-Senses Description: Let the reader see, smell, hear, taste, and feel what you write in your essay.

The thick, burnt scent of roasted coffee tickled the tip of my nose just seconds before the old, faithful alarm blared a distorted top-forty through its tiny top speaker. Wiping away the grit of last night's sleep, the starch white sunlight blinded me momentarily as I slung my arm like an elephant trunk along the top of the alarm, searching for the snooze button. While stretching hands and feet to the four posts of my bed, my eyes opened after several watery blinks. I crawled out of the comforter, edging awkwardly like a butterfly from a cocoon, swinging my legs over the side of the bed. The dusty pebbles on the chilled, wood floor sent ripples spiraling from my ankles to the nape of my neck when my feet hit the floor. Grabbing the apricot, terri-cloth robe, recently bathed in fabric softener and October wind, I knotted it tightly at my waist like a prestigious coat of armor and headed downstairs to battle the morning.

Spatial-Order Description: Show the reader where things are located from your perspective.

Billy Ray's Pawn Shop and Lawn Mower Repair looked like a burial ground for country auction rejects. The blazing, red, diesel fuel tanks beamed in front of the station, looking like cheap lipstick against the pallid, wrinkled texture of the parking lot sand. The yard, not much larger than the end zone at General G. Patton High School on the north end of town, was framed with a rusted metallic hedge of lawn mowers, banana seat bicycles, and corroded oil drums. It wasn't a calico frame of rusted parts, but rather an orchestra of unwanted machinery that Billy Ray had arranged into sections. The yellow-tanked mowers rested silently at the right of the diesel fuel. Once red, now faded orange, mowers stood at attention to the left. The oil barrels, jaded and pierced with holes, bellared like chimes when the wind was right. The bikes rested sporadically throughout the lot. In the middle of it all was the office, a faded, steel roof supported by cheap two-by-fours and zebra paneling. Billy Ray was at home, usually, five blocks east of town on Kennel Road.

The word “description” means to narrate something in such a way that the reader is able to visualize the image that is portrayed.

Descriptive essay topics can range from describing a rainy day describing a garden, a library to how an operation is performed. In essence, it will be associated with the how the senses are related to the topics.

Emotions come into play as you describe the sound and feel of thunder or lightning, and graduates into the area longing for warmth and dryness. If it is the library under discussion, the emotions are still more poignant.

The warmth which books convey, the feel of books and the warmth that they spell, the magic which is there in the air all around coupled with the external elegance and unspeakable emotions which remain tied up waiting to loosen themselves. In toto what is required in such essays would be sensory details.

Some common descriptive essay topics would deal with a particular incident or general topics that deal with experiences or activities. Scenic descriptions of a sunset or a sunrise, hobbies, or a particular activity like cricket or skating would fall under this category. Storms, hurricanes and cyclones are always things about which anyone can write about. These call for the use of imagination evoking color and imagery so that the reader is sure of what is being addressed. Figurative speech, words that denote sound and represent the thing being described are important.

Academic subjects like the fear and ecstasy of math and trigonometry, lively chemistry and biology, inanimate geology or merely the environment are other descriptive topics that are regularly written about.

Using general details, the focus could gradually evolve into more specific issues about personal significance. Hobbies cultivated or sports played have been topics that have been perennially thrashed about On a more personal level, descriptive essay topics like home, parents; pets have always been in the fray. Personal Success and failure, happiest and saddest moments in life, the thrills of independence and personal goals and ambitions always make good reading and spell even better writing. Teachers are all time favorites, while friends and favorite relatives are good substitutes. Bitter experiences, losses and dark moments follow suit, as these are common things in everyone’s lives.

Food, fruits, seasons are somehow in the same basket and time tested topics for description. The list for descriptive essay topics is just endless. Just think of a topic, name a topic and it is worthy of being included in the list. In fact, what has just been described is a form of descriptive essay that can be included in the category of topics

a scene

a certain person or thing

your pet

an animal

your room

a house

your BFF

the taste of your fav food

the day you visited a different country

• a dressing room

my computer

a waiting room

an hidden house

an old house

a bowl of fruits

a trapped house

A snowy day

• Annis

Hope this helps!

Source(s): DigitalEssay.net