Sun will go Super Nova in 10 000 years, where do people get this from?

A 10 year old girl I take care of tried to tell me that sometime in the next 1000 years humans will die as the sun prepares to do Super Nova (10 000 years away). Apparently a substitute she had in class today told them this.

Where do people get this crap? I showed her the NASA website about aging stars and star groups etc.

Should I complain to the school? Tomorrow is the last day.

Best Answer

of course complain to the school, teachers telling little kids that all humans will die because the sun turns into a super nova kids would get scared of going to school if everyone told them the world was gonna end.....

• halsey

Trick question. The sunlight won't pass great nova. It doesn´t have sufficient mass. rather the sunlight will swell up because it runs out of hydrogen to burn. The sunlight is particularly swelling top now yet at a value that gained´t be important for 1000000000 years or so. yet at last the sunlight will swell up lots quicker and be so vast that it will gobble up Venus and probably even earth. finally the suns outerlayers will basically puff out into area leaving a tiny stellar corpse called a white dwarf. Now right here is yet another technology project for you: what might take place to earth if the celeb Betelgeuse interior the constellation of Orion is going great nova? as a results of fact it is going to. And it particularly is "basically" 427 lightyears away.

In order to become a supernova, a star must have a mass at least 2.4 times the mass of the sun. (This is called the Chandrasekhar limit.) Obviously, then, the sun will never become a supernova.

It will end its life as a red giant. But don't hold your breath; this will not happen for another 4 billion years or so, give or take a little.

• Tom

Substitutes can get like this. I remember once in Primary School a substitute tried to teach the class how seasons worked, but he ignored the other hemisphere. He was completely wrong. I'm not sure you should complain, if you teach the girl the truth then she'll see, then maybe she will bring it up at school.

You should definitely complain, the substitute was talking complete nonsense. Any qualified physicist will tell you that it is completely impossible for the Sun to go supernova, it's simply far, far too small. Furthermore, while it does have a finite lifespan it will be supporting life on Earth for hundreds of millions of years into the future.

Well, any date at all is just an estimate, but supposedly, it is going to last another 5 billion years, so YES I would complain to the school about them teaching children complete nonsense

Nope, the sun will become a red giant in about 5 billion years and end it's life as a white dwarf

shes only half right. Its 5 to 50billion years. Not 1000. Although, about 5 years ago, a new program in my country stated the country will be destroyed from all the rubbish dumps, they said in 50 years. They have books that say that stuff in school libarys, Sometimes kids just find this info.

• eri

My sister used to substitute teach when she was in college. She didn't know anything about math or science. Still doesn't. Subs are paid about minimum wage. Maybe they should just tell them not to try to teach anything at all.

• Feythe

It's possible that the girl simply mis-quoted her teacher, wasn't paying attention, didn't remember, etc.

I would ask the teacher what, exactly, she told the students before I made any complaint.