Christians, what irritates you about the church (as a whole) today?

What would you change if you could?

I'm looking for Christian opinions here so if you're an atheist or a troll or just wanting to bash about how stupid you think Christianity is, you'll be getting thumbs down. Be forewarned!

Favorite Answer

I don't know if it's irritation so much as sadness, but what bothers me is that so many people confuse "churchianity" with actually following Christ. Authenticity, openess, and deep relationships should not be rare for followers of the One who proclaims "And you shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall set you free." We are so worried about sin--ours and everybody else's. Its not that behavior is unimportant, its that behavior begins inside. We tend to focus our energy on the outside behavior and many have no idea that Jesus' plan was to come and fix the inside--correct behavior is the result not the goal. Jesus didn't die so that we could have religion, or lists and rules. He didn't die so we could go to a building on Sundays and put on our best "Jesus-face". He didn't even come to give us heaven (only), though that is waiting for us. He came to give us abundant life here and now, to heal us and set us free from all that holds us. He came to set captives free, not in death, but in awesome life. We seem to miss this as we attend, and sing, and try to manage sin. He's so much bigger than that, there's so much more.

• Apathy in the Christians life. There are people who need to know the good news of Jesus and they just don't care.

Programs!!!! Is the clock more important then God revealing Himself through the Holy Spirit? It seems we are so into an agenda and making sure everyone is entertained.

The lack of teaching of the Word of God. I have been to too many churches that take one or two verses and build a cute little entertaining speech around it. UGH! I want the Word of God.

I have seen so many people go to church just for a social hour. While the worship is happening they are checking their watches and just biding their time until it's over. How sad they do not take the opportunity to worship with their brothers and sisters in Christ! How many have been healed physically and emotionally while worshiping and lifting up our Lord?!!

One of the biggest things that bothers me is how we only look within the church walls for needs that need to be met. There are so many hungry, hurting people who do not have their basic needs met outside of the church. Who cares if they will not be able to pay us back or if they ever even set foot in our church building. Show them the love of Christ by feeding and clothing them. There are lonely people out there who just need a smile. Go visit a nursing home!! It's a mission field in itself!

But most of all, let the Holy Spirit move!!!!! Quit putting God in a box.

Source(s): IMHO

You missed the factor!!! you at the instant are not telling others the actuality. Sharing Gods observe and message is the factor. Thats what we are referred to as to do. to try this devoid of what you declare to be the factor may be detrimental and backwards! needs and desires are 2 diff. issues. you're saying human beings do no longer decide for to stick to a itemizing of policies! WHY DOES each physique THEN? there is no order devoid of policies. Gods policies create the suitable order! Freedom -- how are you defining that! I even have freedom from the sin that binds some human beings! Do you?

in America especially churches are pretty...lukewarm. The congregation goes to church, enjoys a sunday afternoon, and that's that for the week. I'm trying to get my spiritual life up so that Church is not a twice a week thing (youth group). I want it to be a 24/7 thing.

If you want to know more about this you can check out "Francis Chan" on youtube or something and look up "Lukewarm and loving it"

The way the people set back on their do nothings and do nothing, then complain about every thing that is going wrong. Most people who claim the name of Jesus are afraid to stand up and speak out against things that are against the Bible and in most Churches today the Gospel of Christ is all but stop being preached. Preachers are after to stand up and say. "Thus sayest the Lord", for fear that they will loss there job. My husband stands up and tells the people, "You didn't hire me, you cannot fire me" We do not work for the people in the Church, we work for the Lord, Yes, we Love our people but our first obligation is to Christ. I could go on but there is not enough room in this section to write all the problems in the Churches today. Christians have forgotten who our enemy is. One Church stands up and preaches against the other while souls are sliding into hell moment by moment.

instead of love Christians judge harshly if a bro or sis is down, well that is what happened in my case. but you know what! Those Christians that talked smack about me, came and apologized when they saw I was living for Christ and made the best out of a a tough situation whether or not they liked what I was doing I knew I had to keep my focus on the cross, even if I kept fallling every step. so what I am saying is the lack of support when one is down. Praying is not enough, we have to stick to the one who fell and help them get up, we don't have that with each other, we are a microwave, quick solutuion society who has no time for the weary and even less for the lost.

We need to stand up and be defenders of the Faith in this day and age cause our enemy is absolutely here to kill and we are so blind to what is happening around us because we are too concerned with our SELF. Christians wake up and stop judging one another instead reach out to each other to stay strong! and work on saving souls to take to the kingdom, and when you confront a bro or sis do it in love with love humility and compassion! thanks for letting me get that off my back!!! smiles..

Source(s): HOLY BIBLE absolute !!

What irritates me is when people attend churches and do not understand why they are going. In other words, they attend church just for show and do not go to church to understand the principles of living the Christian Life. This includes helping your neighbor, always telling the Truth, and living according to the Word of God.

As a Christian Conservative, i believe the United States of America should be based off what the Bible Says and NOT What Pop Culture Says. Today in America, Americans are not living according to the Word of God. Here are some examples;

1. Children are being born out of wedlock to a Boyfriend and Girlfriend Couples more than to Married Couples. The Bible clearly says that sex is forbidden before you get married.

2. Hollywood Actors are always Living In Everyday Sin and when they do wrong, they can get away with their wrongdoing but when Everyday People commit sin, the society around them has a field trip.

When I say “has a field trip,” I mean that the society around them has something to say and what they have to say is something we do not want to hear.

3. Parents are not taking responsibility for their children and letting them run the house. The Bible tells us that it is our responsibility to raise our children but some parents are more concern about other priorities which include their jobs, their cars, and spending time with their friends at local bars that they forget about being responsible for their children.

4. You have Liberal groups like the ACLU (what I call the Anti Christian Lawyers Union) who want to destroy the Christian Foundations the United States of America was founded on. They want to strip away "One Nation Under God" off our currency, they want to remove monuments of The Ten Commandments, and they want to make marriage between two people of the same sex. I for one hate the ACLU and Liberal groups who are destroying the foundations the United States of America was founded on. The founders of our country were Christians and they strongly believed in God and that America should be based off what the Bible says.

I believe that the United States of America should be based off of biblical principles and that living your life in a way that is not according to the Word of God is wrong that all Americans who are Christians should live according to what the Bible says and NOT what Pop Culture says.

Source(s): I watch The 700 Club (Christian Broadcasting Network) and I believe that the United States of America is "One Nation Under God" and should be based off what the Bible Says and NOT on what Pop Culture Says.
  • rhanjo

The true church is a many membered body in the love of Jesus and His teachings. Gods true church is not built with mans hands and it's not made of brick and mortar. Christ is the cornerstone of the true church. Many buildings that call themselves Church's today are nothing more than a gathering of people who are likened those who go to Burger King, they're having it their way.

Actually what irritates me is that they want so much money. Church has become BIG business now. It really takes way from the entire humbleness of Christian belief.

What bothers me is some of the teaching going on,

they get preacher,s that water down the word of God

so no one will get miffed,, when God say,s not to do something,,,he mean,s everyone, not just a few,

and they teach baptisem is nothing,,but Jesus said

unless you come by the water and the spirit, your lost.