Big "O" asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 decade ago

How do I dispute negative items on my credit report?

I have one negative item on my credit report. How do I dispute this item? I have heard that if you dispute an item and that particular company does not acknowledge it can be removed from the report all together. Is this true, and how do I go about doing this? The negative item is from Mac Tools Distribution, if that will help. There is an address on my report although there is no phone number. Do i need to call them, or a different source?

Favorite Answer

Big O... You have to write or type ( I cant remember which one)the credit reporting agency a formal letter and it has to be done in a certain way... They have books at the book store on how to do it.. If the negative item is legit. I can tell you through experience they are not going to remove it... Make sure you check all three credit reports . Experian, Trans Union, and Equafax.. Also while you are at it make sure you have them correct any mistakes on it to clean it up so it looks nice and neat when creditors pull it up.. Mistakes can be taken care of over the phone once you actually have the credit reports by all three . Hope this helped you....God bless you !

Source(s): The Bible / 38 yrs. life experience

I've done it with experian online and had about 4 items removed I did them at the same time some were removed within 2 weeks others were removed at the 30-45 day mark. I disputed addresses, collections.

Deth is wrong.....

You can dispute any item (accurate or not) and if the creditor does not respond back in 30 days the credit bureau must remove it. This is how many people start cleaning up their credit reports. Nothing illegal about it at all.

Not only is deth wrong about disputing accurate listings, he also gave the incorrect timeframe. Delinquent accounts can be reported for a maximum of 7 years from the date of first delinquency NOT last transaction. Check the FCRA deth.

is it a REAL incident? Did you actually have financial dealings with that company? If yes, then it stays on your record for 7 yrs - you can't get legitimate incidents removed, even after they are paid off - they stay on for 7 yrs after the last transaction with that creditor

Go to this site - it has a form and instructions on how to dispute the entry. http://www.oskie.com/credit-dispute.htm

Hope this helps!!

I had a similar problem and this company helped me solve the issue

• Alisun

whatever bro like i know anything about that