Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

Is your best friend from the same ethnic background as you?

In Islam of course there is no difference between people in terms of ethnic background, meaning one is not better than another. Is it natural however for people to find more common ground with people with similar life experiences (culture)? I see the little clicks in the mosque and so this often comes to my mind,. For me personally, most of my friends are Palestinian or Egyptian and my two best friends are also Palestinian, though one is raised in Palestine and one here in the US. What do you think? I am an American BTW

Favorite Answer

Salam alikoum,

I used to have a lot of friends, all from Poland as I'm polish. Unfortunately, since I converted to Islam, my best friends have left me and additionally betrayed me.... I lost the trust to people. It's too much difficult for me to open for new relations now. I have noticed that as long as so-called friends needs yo (your time, your money, your advice, your attention), they are your best friends for ever. But if only you start to "disturb" them (like in my case, by different looking-wearing hijab, different thinking-being Muslimah, different way of spending free time-refusing invitations to parties etc), they slowly cut contacts with you. It was the most painful experience for me!

But I trust in goodness and pure heart. I have found here in UK some woman from Oman, who fulfilled the emptiness in my heart and replaced me all friends whom I had in the past. I consider her as my best friend, because I believe that she will never leave me alone, insha-Allah. She loves Islam and fear Allah the same as me. And she cares about me and my soul like the true sister.

Salam

Source(s): Thank you Suhaila! May Allah rewards all your good deeds which you are doing for me! AMEN!

I've never even met someone that was from the same ethnic background as me because my ethnic group doesn't really exist in my generation, outside of my immediate family. (mixed race European first generation American). That's probably why I'm a little strange. Most of the people I get along with best are [non-Zionist] Jews because their culture is closest to the European culture, though their most recent immigrant wave from Europe was in the 1940s, which is why I love Yiddish music since it's all about being a new European immigrant to America and all the adjustments involved. Probably also why I ended up becoming Muslim since I tend to identify more with immigrants than with the mainstream.

Before when I was in Malaysia, I had friends from the same ethnic background as I am (I'm Malaysian). However, since I moved to Saudi Arabia a year ago, I've observed many different cultures as I study in a very diverse environment. My best friend is from India, and he is the most politest and innocent person I have ever met in my life. I value my friendship with him.

Up till now, I have found only two friends that I can trust with my darkest, deepest secrets. One in Malaysia and one here in Saudi Arabia.

I am Irish and still have one of my pals from home as best pal but other best pal is Italian but she was raised in U.K. have English pals and a lovely pal in Uk Betty who is black, her grandad was actually Irish, we get on great. I like having pals from different backgrounds as after being away many years from Ireland find people here can be very narrow-minded so like the diversity of different cultures as I had in Uk. I just take people for who they are and if they are nice, thats just how I am so their religion etc wouldn't even be in the equation as not something would think about, just if I get on with a person and enjoy their company.

I am american; I have a group of Algerian friends but find I have to hide parts of myself (the cynical side, etc.).

I have two best friends back home in the states that are american and we relate on some levels but on some we are oceans apart.

I find that no matter what, relationships are very lonely because you can never fully relate to someone. I have a hard time, anyway. I don't know why.

My best friend is Dominican. Most of my friends are Spanish, African American, Haitian, Arab, and some Whites.

Those are the main ethnic groups where i live and i like learning about other cultures. Being with one culture sometimes is boring. I like to see how our world is and learning about others.

My closest group of friends are all of indian and chinese background. I'm the only black individual in our group, but it doesn't bother me one bit. This is the environment that I've always lived in, and I like it that way.

Well I consider my wife as my best friend ! and NO she is from a different background ! Im a Pakistani and she is a White american girl ! A lovely wife to be with !

Yes and no. The friend I've had for over 32 years is the same race and nationality as me, but my best friend is my ex-husband and he's Mexican from old Mexico. I agree with there being no difference in people regardless of their race, religion, culture, etc. because we are all God's creatures and He loves us all equally.

It all depends what the ethnic diversity is where you live. Most of my best friends are white and the rest are Chinese,Black,and Albanian.

Source(s): Nomad in America