Mormon church enters Calif. gay marriage fight?

Do you think this will end up a Huge Fight as Christians are going to do what they can to end Gay Marraige in California?

SALT LAKE CITY - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is asking California members to join the effort to amend that state's constitution to define marriage as being between a man and a woman.

A letter sent to Mormon bishops and signed by church president Thomas S. Monson and his two top counselors calls on Mormons to donate "means and time" to the ballot measure. A note on the letter dated June 20 says it should be read during church services on June 29, but the letter was published Saturday on several Web sites.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080624/ap_on_re_us/mo...

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Jacob
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

There is chapter of scripture that talks about how law and religion, though separate are intertwined.

It talks about how the whole idea of government is based on the idea that the freedom and liberties of the people will be preserved in a system of judges because it is common for the majority of people to want what is right.

Then it says, "And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land." Mosiah 29:27

I think that is the point, that the voice of the people of California did NOT desire to enact gay marriage, neither do the people of all the other states that are now enacting it because of precedent set by california. It was forced on us by judges who wanted to make a name for themselves and force their beliefs on the masses.

If we have gotten to a point where the majority of people want that which is wrong in the sight of God, it means something. If this law is not overturned by the voice of the people, desiring what is right in God's eyes, I think we may be subject to Mosiahs warning.

• 4 years ago

If this were purely a civil rights issue, then the church wouldn't have gotten involved at all. The issue concerning same-sex marriage, however, is not simply a civil issue. It touches on fundamental Christian beliefs, which makes it a moral problem...and a church has every right to get involved in a problem they believe offends or at least concerns God. In any case, though, the Mormon church didn't spend any tithing money on this cause. Tithing money only goes towards upkeep of buildings and the like (not even to salaries). Members donated privately, but when the tallies were made, those private donations all went under the heading of the LDS (Mormon) church. That being the case, this question is a bit moot.

• Isolde
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It was not a huge fight the last time. It passed with 65%. The opposition claimed it wasn't necessary because the law couldn't be changed. Now that we now they were decieving us, it will be a lot easier.

This is not a Mormon issue, since they are only 3% of the population. The next step if this is not reversed will be for suits against churches who refuse to marry gays. Politically correct cities will prohibit use of public facilities.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

here's the good news:

You can improve your eyesight by simply learning, naturally and practicing the correct way to see for a few small minutes a day.

You can check this method based on a scientnfic researches : http://www.goobypls.com/r/rd.asp?gid=413

if glasses are worn continuously over time the poor vision will generally become worse. Essentially what glasses do is lock the eyes into their refractive state and in order to see through your lenses you have to maintain the poor vision that the lenses are designed to correct.

"Restore my vision? program you'll be taken by the hand, it shows you how to improve your vision naturally, permanent and complete solution.

Even the American Optometric Association has been forced to admit these things!

The secret to restore vision naturally

And I'm sure that you will not regret your decision

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

They did this last time when it was on the ballot in CA (yeah we did already vote on this)

The church rarely ever gets involved in political issues but when its an issue that hits the core of its doctrine (and family is one of those) then they will speak up. I think that gay marriage is the only issue I have ever heard them take a stand on in my lifetime in terms of political issues.

None of the tithing money will go to this cause, though. If you want to donate money to help you are asked to specifically state that you want to donate money to this specific issue, otherwise it wont be used for that.

EVERYONE is voting on this issue and many other issues according to their morals and values. What, if you dont get YOUR way then its other people forcing their morals on you, but if you get your way then you arent forcing your morals on others? Why cant people see how hypocritical that is? You get your way then its fair and valid. You dont then its other people forcing their views on you.

and for people that whine mormons should stay out of politics, HELLO, the mormon church RARELY ever gets involved. Only because this is considered a very moral issue for the church is it involved. If a church was fighting for gay marriage would you tell them to stay out of politics, too???? Or is it only when they disagree with you?

• 1 decade ago

It is tough to fight some things, since moral values in human sexuality were taken out in the 60's because the counter culture wanted to have promiscuous sex, it has led us to where we are now, along with many other problems. The state our children and families are in now is a direct result of the doing away with moral values in our society.

Also we have the media working against us as well, The National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association has hundreds of members and is heavily funded by Hearst newspapers, Knight-Ridder, CBS News, CNN, Gannet, NBC, Los Angeles Times, Fox News, and more. Major newspapers throughout the U.S. have homosexual activists on their staffs who filter what you read about homosexuality.

Source(s): Maybe they should just let them have what they want, then maybe they will shut up and we don't have to be bombarded with their perversion in the news all the time. Hey B-krak, funny you should bring that up, because most liberals want the same thing. All part of a free and open society.
  • 1 decade ago

I think there is a reason that Bush stopped in Utah recently to meet with the church president and not the Utah governor.

Pulling all the Mormons and Christians out in September will be the only thing that might save the Republicans in the presidential race.

The Mormon president is on board for that.

Then Mormons wonder why people pick on them. Get out of politics, and we'll let you alone.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Hey,

If you are lookig for some ideas fory your backyard/fronyard landscaping check this unique site http://www.goobypls.com/r/rd.asp?gid=418

Bye Bye

• 1 decade ago

I don't know what the question is, but I sure am glad that the Mormons are fighting to make their morals forced on others. I would hate to see a country where everyone was given equal say and equal rights.

• 1 decade ago

They just think marriage should be between a man and several women.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.