How do you build your credit with a 566 score?

OK, pulled my credit report, my total debt is $6700.00. Thats it. I have no bankruptcy, no credit card debt. Its all collection accounts. I applied for a credit card and was turned down. I dont want to do it again because it allready showed up on there. Now, In two years I wish to purchase a home , and build my... show more OK, pulled my credit report, my total debt is $6700.00. Thats it. I have no bankruptcy, no credit card debt. Its all collection accounts. I applied for a credit card and was turned down. I dont want to do it again because it allready showed up on there. Now, In two years I wish to purchase a home , and build my credit file. How do I do this cheaply , quickly and effectively? Ive been told I need to raise my score 84 points to get to 650 which is a good rating that will approve you for almost anything. Is this true? My goal is not to spend money or go in debt, my goal is to build a good file in the next two years(or sooner)
Update: but Im turned down for credit cards?
Update 2: I have taken responsibility for it. Most of the collection (6300) is from my ex using my name for accounts , which I will not pursue her for. But you wouldnt know that because you seem to be a giant d&ldo. I asked a question, not for a responsibility lesson.