Commonwealth of Australia.King George V.One Penny 1923.Any info please?

My son found a King George V. One Penny coin from 1923. Commonwealth of Australia.

It's in a excellent condition.

A LOT of sites talk about these "6 or 8 diamonds."What are these excactly?And are they in the crown of somewhere else?

Also talk about "centre diamond".I may be blind but I can not see a centre diamond or anything that looks like one.

Could that be the squashed looking circles on the very top of the crown,that has the only thing that may be a diamond on top of that?

All pictures I look at make it hard to clearly see.

The clearest picture I have found is a Penny from 1913.

http://www.aussiecoins.com/coins/Pennies/1913-penn...

If that is the diamonds and pearls,then this coin has a different mounting on that part of the crown.

Also on the Penny side the centre dots close to the "P" and partial "E" are not stamped.

Apparently this was a limited release.

Any info on this coin would be greatfully appreciated.

I can add any other info you need

Favorite Answer

I see no varieties listed in Krause/Mishler for the 1923 Australian cent. There are for the 1919 and 1920 cents but they have to do with dots on the coins. The cents from 1911 through 1926 were not all minted at the same mint so there would be a difference. The 1913 was minted in London and the 1923 was minted in Melbourne. It is not uncommon for coins minted for other country's, to be different than ones mint at their mints. As for weak letters that is common also and happens a lot on the state quarters issued here in the states. The mintage was 5,654,000 so it is not rare. It depends on what country you live in for value. here in the U.S. I can find them from .25 in low grade to around a dollar or so in higher circulated grades. It would be worth more in the country of issue. Small denomination coins are usually only collected in the country that struck them Cents here are collected by most collectors but few to none collect them in Europe or Australia. So I have no listings for the varieties you speak of and yes the diamonds are in the crown but the crown may very from the London mint coin you saw and the one minted in Australia. This is the best Ican do.

Source(s): 48 years a numismatist,Krause/Mishler Standard catalog of World Coins 1901-2000 volume, Coins of the British World.

Every Time!!! I've done it for years, ever since I heard, or read/ the following true story> It kinda humbles us all. A man and his wife were once invited out to dinner by the man's employer. This was going to be a very important affair for the couple because they felt honored about the invitation. This particular employer was enormously wealthy. His financial status soared far above that of the employee and his wife. In fact, the couple became more nervous about the occasion as it approached with each passing day. When the day of the dinner-date finally arrived the employer met the couple near the entrance to one of the most exclusive restaurants in the area. Following a formal greeting, the three of them proceeded toward the door with the wealthy employer leading the way. After a few steps the employer stopped in his tracks and appeared to be quietly staring at the ground in front of him. After nearly bumping into the man, the couple stopped short, wondering what may be wrong. After a few seconds the employer bent over, picking up a single penny which lay on the sidewalk. He brushed it off, placed it into his pocket, and continued toward the door. The group was quickly seated and their order was taken. As they waited for the food to be served, and, in an attempt to relieve an obviously tense atmosphere, the wife of the employee jokingly made the following comment: "I noticed that you didn't walk past that penny on the ground outside. Is that how you have become so wealthy?" The employer smiled kindly, reached into his pocket, and brought forth the redeemed penny, laying it on the table-top. "Read what it says." He asked. The couple leaned forward, reaching for the penny, and pulled it closer. "In God We Trust." Said the wife. Then the employer explained that he didn't become wealthy by picking up pennies. He picked up pennies, and any other lost coins because of those words. He explained that God's name is holy. (Remember the words to The Lord's Prayer?) If we shouldn't use it in vain we should also make sure that it is not walked upon by passers-by. But, he also explained another reason for pausing a short time before retrieving the penny from the ground. "It is as if God has dropped a message into my pathway and He wants to remind me to keep my trust in Him." He told how he always said a short prayer of thanks, as a reply to God's loving message. The employer went on to explain, as they enjoyed the dinner and the evening together, that a single penny can become worth more than gold or silver in strengthening our relationship with our Heavily Father. Good question, Dizz! Thanks for reminding me!!! Oh, and another thing...If you pick up the pennies, no one can accuse you of not having any sense (cents)

howmuchisitowrth