Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Religion & Society?

As much people complain religion is like slavery on a society and the idea of conformity is wrong if you truly think about without having some form of a universal moral standard, people would flip? Are there any real free-thinkers? What's a free-thinker? For instance, a serial killer can be considered a free-thinker he does not conform to a univeral moral standard, but he's wrong. The only way to be completely FREE person is be UTTERLY INSANE. Sorry for the caps, I get really excited when I come up with these ridiculous theories. PLEASE ARGUE BACK. To me this is so much fun and so enlightening. LOL

Favorite Answer

All the organized religions ARE like slavery. The Founding Fathers hated them, especially Christianity.

""During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution."

"What influence, in fact, have ecclesiastical establishments had on society? In some instances they have been seen to erect a spiritual tyranny on the ruins of the civil authority; on many instances they have been seen upholding the thrones of political tyranny; in no instance have they been the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wish to subvert the public liberty may have found an established clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate it, needs them not."

James Madison

""I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved -- the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!"

John Adams

"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution. The primitive Christians thought persecution extremely wrong in the Pagans, but practiced it on one another. The first Protestants of the Church of England blamed persecution in the Romish church, but practiced it upon the Puritans. These found it wrong in the Bishops, but fell into the same practice themselves both here [England] and in New England."

Benjamin Franklin

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my church. "

"Of all the systems of religion that ever were invented, there is no more derogatory to the Almighty, more unedifiying to man, more repugnant to reason, and more contradictory to itself than this thing called Christianity. "

Thomas Paine

"Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting "Jesus Christ," so that it would read "A departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion;" the insertion was rejected by the great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the Hindoo and Infidel of every denomination."

Thomas Jefferson

"We freethinkers [Freemasons] are, I suspect, sometimes suckers for the big lie that the U.S. really was founded as a Christian nation... know I suspected something like that when I first read "As the government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian Religion..." as a quote from the Treaty with Tripoli. "

By Ed Buckner, Ph.D. on the 1796-97 Treaty with Tripoli

The Founding Fathers hated Christianity, and it's a lie to go on saying Christianity is the saving grace of all mankind.

I think that the person that feels religion is a form of slavery have never been able to truly open their mind to the possibility that there might be some thing greater than themselves. As for free thinkers there are many of them in the world today. Some have ideas that border on lunacy yet have the ability to raise very significant questions. Some of the inventions of the past were created by those that had some rather enlightened thoughts; Edison, Bell, Marconi, the Wright bros., etc.... many of their ideas on the surface seemed to be the delusions of someone that was insane.

Moral standards are dictated by society as a whole. A prime example of majority rules. If society accepted that murder was morally correct then no one would bat an eye at open murder. Yet even those that have a calling from a higher power to kill, tend to do so in a some what private way.

Keep coming up with "theories" so that some of us will something that will keep our minds busy.

Being free is having no ego, insanity is having an ego that is running so fast in it's thoughts that your mind becomes just chaos. People don't need a moral standard to follow. Most people are basically good and don't need to conform. They conform with what they wear and maybe say because they are sociable. A few are deranged socially and need to follow a moral code or locked up when they commit a crime. Also normal people become temporarily deranged ethically and should be helped and perhaps separated from society so they don't hurt anyone.

It sounds like you have a phobia of doing something socially that you would be ashamed or embarrased of. Are you taking street drugs? I would stop. And I've never heard anyone say that religion makes people feel like a slave.

let me quote something from you, "a serial killer can be considered a free-thinker- he does not conform to a univeral moral standard, BUT HE'S WRONG. "

How can you say that he's wrong in you own standard when in his case, he doesnt conform to a universal moral standard?

You are not free-thinking.

to be UTTERLY INSANE wouldn't make you a free-thinker.

It's how others see you. No matter how you show you are FREE-THINKING, if others do not think so, then you're not.

However you say FREE-THINKING DOESN'T NEED TO CONFORM TO A UNIVERSAL STANDARD, it does and will forever do.

So erase that theory, it's vague.

Without religion society would crumble. I don't mean to prove or disprove the existence of God or a universal moral code derived from truth, but an objective law of justice is ONLY defensible with the assumption of one of those things. Whether or not you believe in God, the general belief in something higher is what lets us say "Taking a human life is wrong".

Not to mention that, despite any example of a massacre or debacle, or terrible injustice you can provide that was the result of religious prejudice, I can provide an equally powerful example of extreme mercy and active love which was the result of religious compassion for human beings. Religion is a tool which can be used or misused, that doesn't make it good or bad.

• briola

Has there interior the background of the international ever been something that has controlled society precise. Hell even now the extra advantageous subject that controls society is funds and look how jack up subject are starting to be via fact of it. i do no longer think of something can rather administration society and do it justly.

There is no free-thinker. In my own definition, to be completely free in thinking means that one is completely original and has had not been influenced in anyway... impossible. Your parents influenced you, your friends influenced you, Nature influenced you. We are all shaped beings shaped by things happening around and within us. None of us can claim to be the utmost original and "free".

To claim being "free" is to claim being God. We can never overcome what makes us, just as we can never deny ourselves the impact our parents have on us.

Religion is what u follow without hurting others. Society is the people around u who care for u.

TO be a FREE THINKER you just have beilive in things that is sorta against the accepted. you dont always have to think like that.

If you're insane that makes you a nonconformist? I think not. You just conform to either non-conformity or to insantiy.