do health insurance companies cover mental health?

im 20 years old and im still under my mom and dads plan blue cross blue shield of AZ do u think it covers mental health? im feeling kinda depressed i want to see a shrink

Best Answer

Yes, but they don't like to...

I had Blue Cross Blue Shield of AZ and they SCREWED ME... They made me pay $150.00 out of pocket for EACH 15 min session with a psychiatrist when I was trying to get on medication...

$150.00 a visit AFTER insurance...

Needless to say, I didn't go back as often as I should have...

B.C.B.S. of AZ is one of THE WORST companies to work with... The difference between Blue Cross Blue Sheild of AZ and B.C.B.S. of IL is the difference between a 4 star restaurant and McDonalds...

B.C.B.S. of AZ is NOTORIOUS for their shenanigans... They will screw you any way they can and deny you half of what your doctor requests.

• Marta

When you say "switch in employment" did you mean to another company sponsored plan? If so, that IS Group Coverage and not Individual. If you signed up for the coverage on the pretext of the booklet they had sent you, and were then told they provided you with the wrong information, that is "bait and switch" and I would sue in a heart beat. If it is individual insurance there should be some form of Buy Up coverage that would allow you to purchase Mental Health Coverage for an additional fee. However, Blue Cross is a multimillion dollar insurance agency and should not be making mistakes like sending out wrong booklets to their insureds. I would recommend switching carriers if you have the choice.

tazz...that's twice tonight with the SPAM links....

Anyway as they've said some do and some don't. The thing to be cautious of is that you don't find out they do and go straight to the provider. Many companies have a completly different process for mental health and you need to make sure you do it right otherwise they may not pay...even if you see in network providers. So, call the insurance company and ask about the benefits and ask what the proper way to use them is. AND write down the persons name so you can later say that "I talked to....on this date at this time and he/she told me to do this..'

Good luck and I hope that helps,

Jeff

PS tazz cut out the spam, we get it

There are so many different plans for each insurance company. Your best bet is to call customer service and ask them. If you have your insurance card, the number should be on the back. They'll be able to tell you if there is coverage for specialists (psychiatrists, etc), if you need a referral from your medical doctor, and what the coverage is like (what your copay/deductible is).

I hope you feel better soon! It's great that you are wanting to do something about it.

Some do. You will have to check with the plan, but many do offer that as part of their plan. Also, in case they don't there are many services out there that are free and low cost to help you with things like depression.

Good luck, and let your parents know that you are depressed, maybe they can also help you.

Most likely. Some have limits on the number of visits and some require preauthorization first. Definitely call your insurance company PRIOR to your visit, or you could be penalized for not getting precertification first.

It depends on the plan coverage. I think most do. There is a 1800 no. in your insurance card, you can call them to find out to be sure.

Want to learn more about insurance. Find out here. Copy & paste this to your browser:

www.surelyinsured.com

Source(s): www.surelyinsured.com

typically yes. however, if you are diagnosed with a non-parity (non severe) diagnosis, and you are seeing a doctor who is not in the network, your insurance might not cover it. basically, stick in the network and you should be fine. double check by calling the insurance first, you will most likely need an authorization.

Source(s): works in insurance

Some do and some don't. You have to check the policy and company. There are often times free-low-cost clinics you can go to to find a low-cost therapist.

Some plans do, some don't. You'll have to call the number on the back of your card and ask.

Source(s): agent, 21+ years