R.status asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

They found that their somthing in diet coke that..?

i heard that their is somthing in diet coke that helps cause cancer is this true? if it is shouldnt it stop being made?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

You would be absolutely amazed at the many foods that is allowed on the market, yet it is bad for you. Really...I mean really do your homework on what you put in your body that is sold in grocery stores and health food stores. I would not drink anything with artificial sugar unless I am diabetic and even then there are better and worse choices in artificial sugar. I mean, if it causes cancer in rats, just imagine! Rats are so unbelievably tough and yet it caused cancer? I think you are so much better off drinking regular soft drinks with sugar, but you have to drink those in moderation! Moderation...moderation...moderation and even your diet drink is probably ok in moderation!

Also, saw a study once...people with severe headaches had MRI's which showed shadows on their brains...all those people were drinking diet pop and used artificial sugar a lot. They stoped using the artificial sugar and over time the shadows and headaches went away!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is research that show that the sugar substitute used in Diet Coke has caused cancer in test subjects (rats/mice) when used in intense amounts. So, unless you're drinking on average 2-5 2liter bottels of Diet Coke a day, you're probably going to be ok!

• TAT
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Years ago they said that sacharin caused cancer. There is no proof of that and diet coke is no longer made with the chemical. If we quit making things just bc there is a slight chance that it may cause cancer, we will have very few products left.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Aspartame

Pretty damn controversial....apparently caused holes in rats brains during testing....has been disproved numerous times, but then again that 'proof' could very well have been funded by the large companys who use the sweetner in their foods.....

Apparently its only dangerous when its warm....which is worrying as im drinking a can of room temperture pepsi max at this moment....oh well, it cant be worse than smoking, much more chance of THAT causing cancer

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Maybe so. If it is no they will not take it off the shelf. Cigarettes cause cancer for a fact and look how many people smoke them. There are a list of things that cause cancer but just because they find some information to back them up they cant take everything off the shelf. At that rate we would all be starving!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The stuff that used to be in diet soda did have a strong correlation to the appearance of cancer, but now it is been replaced with a substance that has been shown to be safe.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, the aspartame supposedly causes cancer in lab rats. However, there's no conclusive evidence that it causes cancer in humans; my bet is that it increases the risk. Not to mention artificial sweeteners can cause metabolic syndrome, so in essence, it's worse for you than regular Coke.

Edit: To the poster below, it contains Phenylanine, which is only hazardous to phenyleketonurics. It's a genetic disorder. :) Most sugarfree gums and sodas have that warning.

• 1 decade ago

You are talking about ASPARTAME....All the answers you need can be found by going to GOOGLE....Type in, SNOPES.COM

In the search bar, type in, DIET COKE CANCER then hit search...You will find out it is false, but read it all, for all the answers. = )

• 1 decade ago

Its true there are chemicals in it that are not good for people and can make them sick. It wont stop it from being made the company wants it to stay on and they decide if it goes or stays.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

80% of everything that man makes, causes cancer,exspecially in California, diet coke does make tooth decay faster, and some gum line problems, plus gaul stones, kidney stones, etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.