promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyOther - Skin & Body · 1 decade ago

how can I get rid of sunburn?

i got really bad sunburn, like REALLY AWFUL its literally the colour of a tomato in some light. and whats really bad is that i have a pool party in 5 days. i need to get rid of it SO quickly that means.

some people have said that i should have a really hot shower cause even though it will hurt real bad, it will like open the burnt pores or something.. is this true?

please tell me any especially good products that i could use to get rid of it if you can.

Also, it needs to be a way of keeping a tan, so basically speed up the process of turning from red to brown.

THANKS!

13 Answers

Relevance
  • M
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I know that you've probably heard the aloe vera thing A LOT...believe me...but it really does help if you keep reapplying it. If you store it in the fridge, it can give you more of a relief when you first put it on.

Ice packs (in small amounts of time) and cold cloths or compresses will also help to minimize the length of time that you have redness and should help with the swelling.

Take lukewarm (room temperature) BATHS. Taking showers with too high of a water pressure could increase your pain. Taking a too-cold bath won't help, and will make you freezing. And a too-hot bath runs the risk of burning you even more, or irritating the burn that you already have.

Make sure that you drink PLENTY of water, in order to keep your body hydrated so you don't develop a fever. If you do develop a fever, take an acetaminophen or an ibuprofen to help get rid of the fever and to minimize inflammation and swelling.

If your sunburn is really bad and seems to be very painful, you may want to go see your doctor and get a prescriptive treatment.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

You can't get rid of it. You've suffered a burn and it has to heal, and part of that process is that it will peel.

You can improve the appearance though by using a good after-sun moisturiser though (the Hawaiian Tropic one is superb) and there's some evidence that applying a moisturiser rich in vitamin E can promote healing.

Other than that, you're best means of healing quickly is to make sure your diet is rich in anti-oxidants and that you're not adding extra free radicals to cause further damage. So eat plenty of tomatoes, and vitamin C rich foods, avoid sunlight, tanning salons and tobacco smoke.

You will go from red to brown, but as you're burnt the brown will peel away quickly.

The hot shower idea is largely a load of nonsense; in theory it might work by promoting blood flow to the skin which aids healing, but you're red precisely because this is already what your body is doing as it tries to repair the damage you've allowed to happen.

• 1 decade ago

do not get into a hot shower, yes it will open up the pores but that is gonna do no good for your sunburn. infact the hot water will dialte your blood vessels making the redness look redder! you can not get rid of sunburn, it will go on its own but you can help it to heal. do not exfoliate whilst the skin is red but once the redness goes if it starts to peel and the skin is back to normal colour then genlty use a mild body scrub. moisturise twice a day on the areas using unfragranced lotion. shea butter, milk protien o aloe vera are all good ingrediants to look out for. to void the burn again use spf at least 15.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I've gotten plento of sunburns in my lifetime so far. You can't get rid of it, but you CAN make it more comfortable. True, a hot shower will hurt, but it feels SO much better later on. You want to keep your skin moisturized while it's burned as well so you don't peel as much, and you don't expose more raw skin. You can use Aloe Gel during the day, and Solarcaine before you go to bed. The Solarcaine will sting a little for about 5 minutes, but then it numbs your skin, and it shouldn't hurt at all during the night.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

OMG do NOT take hot shower!!! Talk about tourture! Soaking in a tub loaded with noxema (face wash and sunburn relief) will take the red down and for pain relief use aloe vera...worked for me....I got a bad sunburn on my face and wore a mask of noxema...the next day my face was still sore but it wasn't red nor peeling

• 1 decade ago

ok ...this is gonna hurt but its true,5 days may not be enough

nothing really can make the skin heel alot quicker than it needs to repair itself naturally,diet can help though

Firstly...use a SPF when your going to be outside for a long time,burning is never part of the tanning process and shouldnt be,unless you want to raise your chances of developing skin cancer...you need to be carefull...so never ever used a factor under 15 ever

a hot shower will open the pores but i dont think that would help,you need to keep the area cool and natural aloe vera gel applied regularly will help,or aftersun

ive never been sunburnt so i dont know anything else,this is just common sense sorry... but good luck and please protect yourself:)...you only get one body

-=browneyedfox=

• 1 decade ago

ok sunbun not that bad but peeling with be nasty put lots of alo on like twice a day and that should help with the peeling i bet the sunburn will fade a little in a few days but put on alo to stop the peeling

Source(s): ME
  • 1 decade ago

use after sun 4 to 5 times a day. this will quickly take the heat out and make you more brown than red. Its really good, i use it all the time.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

You can't get rid of it, you have to let it heal by itself. Keep it moisturised and sooth the pain by putting an aftersun on that contains a numbing agent. Greek yoghurt also helps to sooth the pain.

• no first take a couple of das off of the sun and get a lot of aloe vera on it if u have blonde hair and blue eyes liek me then make sure u slopp on the sun screen

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.