Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Why does Obama support the corn-ethanol industry?

According to today's NY Times, "Corn ethanol generates less than 2 units of energy for every unit of energy used to produce it." By comparison, surgar-cane ethanol is 8-1.

Plus corn ethanol takes corn away from our food and livestock causing higher food prices.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

His home state of Illinois is the second largest producer of corn for ethanol, and he is catering to the special interests in his state. Especially, Archer Daniels Midland, which is the nation’s largest ethanol producer and is based in his home state. He is being the typical politician.

"Not long after arriving in the Senate, Mr. Obama himself briefly provoked a controversy by flying at subsidized rates on corporate airplanes, including twice on jets owned by Archer Daniels Midland."

Source(s): McCain '08
  • 4 years ago

Being connected to the Industry, From the farmers and growers standpoint, they have a fast track to some good prices for a change. However what the ethonal myth has done overall is damaging. Older vehicles will burn rings and ruin engines faster with the rich burn rate of ethonal. My Livestock feeds have more than doubled in price. My overall cost of operation in both the cattle and Horse end of the business are up 38%. And when it comes time for the little home owner to go the store and buy a corn based product, You need to have a living will in hand. Whoever sold this government on the failed ethonal BS again was a great salesman. It was a complete and utter failure in the 70's as it will be again. You do not go aganist your food supply to make gasoline. Obama being involved in not a big surprise, Lots of corn related folks in Ill. However don't know how many acres they could plant in South Chicago. Maybe the drug dealers and growers have some corn mixed in there WEED crop. Obama in a nut shell, Is just another damn Politican. Sooner folks learn this the better off there going to be.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You are right..corn-ethanol only raises the price of food..it takes a lot of water to make ethanol and the car will only be about 60% fuel efficient with this alternative fuel

it is very fuel-ish..and I think even Baraak will flip flop on this too

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He also supports taxing Brazilian sugar cane ethanol which is much more effecient than corn ethanol.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There are better alternatives to both sugar and corn.

The problem with sugar is that it takes alot of water to grow, also the run-off from cane feilds is very bad for the environment... I live in FL so I know this first hand.

The problem with Corn is that it's expensive to grow...and as you mentioned it raises food prices.

I don't think Mr. Obama is so much concerned with WHAT we grow to get ethanol, but rather the simple fact that we are switching to ethanol and finding better ways to produce and use it.

Leave the specifics to the scientists...

• 1 decade ago

He suports corn ethanol because he knows it wil not decrease our dependence on foriegn, especially Middle Eastern, oil.

• 1 decade ago

It is exactly as McCainoc... has stated. He has a lot of Illinois backers that he will have to appease if he makes it to the White House.

• 1 decade ago

again it's a no brain er and a none issue because ethanol is one of the green energy's that will wein this country off Bush and McCain big oil party politics because their only looking out for the oil tycoon not the hard working American voters .

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We produce a LOT of corn price of corn where I live is 34 cent a can if it goes up to 40 cent I won't complain LOL

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because he's a drunk and a druggie plus those lobbyists are giving him money.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.