What is Aurolac? I know it is some kind of drug but I don't know what kind.?

I just watched a good documentary "Children Underground" which is about all the 20,000 homeless Romanian kids & all of them get high. I am just wondering what exactly it is & what kind of high they get & what it's made of. I thought I knew all of the drugs but this is one I've never heard of.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • XIII
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

"Aurolac" was the name of a Romanian brand of synthetic colorant, which, if inhaled, has mild hallucinogenic effects; if used for long periods of time it causes heart and brain diseases.

Over the time, "aurolac" has also became the name for addicts that use the above mentioned colorant (or that use similar inhalants to get high).

Also, there aren't 20.000 homeless kids in Romania nowadays, there are far less (and frankly I doubt there were that many even in the late 1990s, when that documentary takes place).

• There are many great things about Romania. The problem of street children is only surpassed by the machiavellianism and reckless disbelief better exemplified by the answer left by XIII: "...there aren't 20,000...I doubt there were..."

• 6 years ago

The documentary was released in 2001....at the time of filming there were 20,000 homeless children in Romania due to the abolition of birth control and the encouragement of having more children per order or Nicolei Ceaucescu, a Romanian dictator. So many children ended up in horrid conditions, whether in orphanages or in below poverty levels in their own families (no clothes, no running water, no heat, not enough food, etc.) and chose to run away. Many of these children ended up on the streets, begging for money or food. They "huff" what appears to be silver or gold paint, not paint thinner, but I could be wrong about that. XIII is correct in that there are not that many homeless children on the streets these days. However, we may never know exactly how many were living on their own in subways and other areas, in squalor. Anyone who has not seen this documentary, really should. Anyway, I am thinking, judging on the bottles of Aurolac, that it's either like paint thinner or like spray paint and is inhaled for a high. I actually believe the number of homeless children in Romania may have been even higher than the estimated 20,000...factor in the children who ended up in over-crowded orphanages, and 20,000 is really not that high of a number. Thank goodness there are not that many these days.

• ?
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Aurolac Paint

• 1 decade ago

Aurolac was the name of a spray paint that was sold in Romania after the collapse of Communism. I am not sure if that name specifically refers to a gold spray paint or the whole range of colors though. Last time I was there last year, I could not find "Aurolac" in the hardware store. I assume because of the bad connotations from the kids huffing spray paint. It is the same high as sniffing glue or paint thinner, a buzzy, dizzy feeling. But the term for street kids that sniff spray paint is not "aurolac" it is "aurolaci" which translates roughly to "paint sniffers."

Source(s): I've seen the film and they were sniffing gold spray paint, not paint thinner. I also used to live in Romania and still have family there.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

It's an inhalent of some sort. Very easy to become addicted and to abuse. Ruins brains. Think "huffing".

• 1 decade ago

Aurolac is a person who gets "high" smelling a kind of paint. I understood they put that paint in a plastic bag, then they inhale that smell and they get high... it's the cheapest drug on the market!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

its an asdfergweafsdgwra

whatever it is, its prolly bad for u...

right?

Source(s): All drugs are bad...
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.