Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 1 decade ago

How do I solve systems of three linear equations with three variables?

I know how to figure these out. But when I get decimals, big numbers, or something that looks wrong to me, I kinda freak out and just don’t do the work. I need someone to please walk me through the following problem so I can get an idea of how to properly figure out the rest. I know the steps I have to take like: write each equation in standard from Ax + By + Cz = D, choose a pair of equations and use the equations to eliminate a variable, choose any other pair of equations and eliminate the same variable as in step 2., two equations in two variables should be obtained from steps 2 and 3 and I must use the same method that I used before to solve the system. To solve for the third variable, substitute the values of the variables found in step 4 into any original equation containing the third variable. I know the steps, I just don’t understand how to get my answer.

1) x + y + z = -5

x – y + 5z = -29

3x +3y + 3z = -15

6 Answers

Relevance
  • j
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I hate these problems they scare me to first start with the first two equations

x+y+z=-5

x-y+5z=-29 Eliminate the Y's first by subtracting the second from the first

you have x-4z= -24

now you have to work with the other two equations and also eliminate the y first

x-y+5z=-29

3x+3y+3z= -15 this one you have to get a common factor of 3 and 1 which is 3 and you have to use the -3 on the first equation so that when you subtract the bottom equation from the top the y's subtracted = 0

-3(x-y+5z= -29)

3x+3y+3z= -15 Now distribute the -3 on the first equation

-3x+3y+15z= 87

3x+3y+3z= -15 now subtract the the 2nd from the 1st

-6x+12z=72 Now you have to work with the equations that have resulted in elimnating the y's so you have to work with

x-4z=24

-6x+12z=72 Now with this one I'd start with eliminating the x's alls you have to do is find a common factor which is 6

6(x-4z=24)

-6x+12z=72 distribute the 6 on the first equation

6x-24z=144subtract 2nd equation from first

-6x+12z=72

-36z= 62 now divide 62 by -36

z= -2 now you can plug in the -2 into x-4z=24 or -6x+12z=72

so x-4(2)=24 x-8=24 add 8 to 24

x=32 now plug x and z into the first original equation

x+y+z= -5

32+y-2 = -5 subtract 2 from 32

30+y= -5 Now subtract 30 from -5

y= -25 so the final answer is :

x= 32 y= -25 and z= -2

Its been awhile so I hope this helps I tried I'm sorry if it doesn't good luck = )

Source(s): A in Algebra 2
  • 1 decade ago

Well the process usually is:

1) either subract or add equation 1 from 2 to eliminate a term this will be equation 4.

2) subract or add equation 3 from either equation 1 or 2 to eliminate the same term this will be equation 5.

3) either subract or add equation 4 from 5 to eliminate a term, this will give you the value of one of the terms.

4) substitute that value into either equation 4 or 5 to get the other term.

5) finally substitute both of the terms you have determined into any of the original 3 equations and you should find your last variable.

In the case of your example you will not be able to find a solution, as it seems you have 2 equations with three unknowns. If you look at it equation 1 and 3 are essentially the same.

• np_rt
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

There is no unique solution for this problem. The third equation is simply the first equation times 3 so you really only have 2 equations and 3 unknowns. You therefore have infinitely many solutions.

If you know linear algebra, you will actually solve these using a method called Gaussian elimination, which actually accounts for situations in which there are infinitely many solutions by looking at the pivots and free variables.

• 1 decade ago

This can not be solved. equations 1 and 3 are identical if you divide the third by 3 so in fact you only have two equations with three unknowns

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Chie
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Computed the answer, x is negative, y is positive, z is neither.

And look, the third equation can be simplified. Simplifying equations first may help a lot in solving these types of problems.

• Joe L
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

You obviously know how to do it, and that's the important point. I agree with you that it's easy to make a mistake when you are trying to eliminate the variables one after the other.

Since you know how it's done manually, why not use a simple algorithm like Cramer's rule?

Look it up on the web and you can follow the routine to come up with your answer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.