Anonymous

does anyone works in the accounting field for the government?

if you do

what are the pros and cons between government and public accounting?

How many hours do you work a week?

What is your salary?

can I get a job in the government when i graduate?

please serious answers only

i have a 3.8 GPA and military background thanks

Favorite Answer

My friends are employed in accounting jobs in federal service!!

Government accountants and auditors maintain and examine the records of government agencies and audit private businesses and individuals whose activities are subject to government regulations or taxation. Accountants employed by Federal, State, and local governments guarantee that revenues are received and expenditures are made in accordance with laws and regulations. Those who are employed by the Federal Government may work as Internal Revenue Service agents or in financial management, financial institution examination, or budget analysis and administration.

Most accountants and auditors work a standard 40-hour week.

The salary for an entrant will be $43,100

Source(s): COURTESY www.collegegrad.com/

I don't have the job yet, but I have a government counselor who tells me the truth. I'm almost 100% assured of getting a job because I am a Desert Storm vet who is 100% disabled and will have a master's in forensic accounting. She said all I have to do is pick the place.

You have to apply for government jobs. There is a web site out there that tells you what's open, where, what pay level, experience, etc. Vets get a 5 point hiring preference. My counselor told me I'd probably have to start out in the IRS unless I wanted overseas.

The salary is lower than civilian pay which is why they have so many benefits. Depending on your work history, probably $25,000 to $30,000 to start. Government jobs are pretty permanent, you don't advance as quickly, you normally work 40 hour weeks. Working for one of the Big 4 in accounting, you'd start out in the mid-$30's but move up quickly- and no job security. If you are a CPA, you'd do much better wherever you went. I'm getting a CFE- certified fraud examiner.

Basically the difference is lower pay, more benefits and job security vs. higher pay and quicker promotions. Don't forget, you have to apply. I know the list is on the web, I just can't remember where.

Good luck!

Source(s): almost ready to graduate!