what are the 10 basic(or the most necessary, used, or whatever you want to name it) baking utensils?

hi!

the main question says it all. i've tried google but i couldn't find any site that is appropriate.

here are my ideas about my question:

some of those are measuring cup, spoon, baking pan, sauce pan, rolling pin and the egg beater(?). i don't know if these are correct though, so please correct, and add as well!

thanks in advance!

Update:

guys, so far so good! i actually was cooking before, but the thing is this is an assignment. thanks everyone!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

big mixing bowl.

small mixing bowl (or large measuring liquid measuring cup that can double as a small bowl)

measuring cups

measuring spoons

wooden spoon

heat-resistant rubber spatula

frying spatula (for digging out stubborn stuff -- make sure it matches your bakeware -- teflon coated may be best if your bakeware scratches easily)

The other three would depend on what you bake. If muffins, go for muffin pans (which can double as roll pans, or you can cook perfectly round cookies in them). If cookies, you may prefer a baking tray or two(this is good for pizza and rustic bread as well). If bread (esp. quick bread), you may want loaf pans. If you do angel food cakes, you will want a tube pan. Crepes will want a cast-iron skillet. Creme puffs -- a cooking pot, and then baking trays.

I would add an electric beater to the list, if you bake a lot. It's not ABSOLUTELY necessary, but it does make life easier for certain recipes. OTOH, it can be more trouble than it's worth. A wire whisk is often just as good, or better. You can get plastic whisks, too, that won't scratch enamel pots (if this is a problem).

You can improvise a lot with baking paper and tin foil, too. Glass pyrex mixing bowls can also be baked in the oven (casseroles, or maybe a cake).

It's very hard to limit the list to 10!!! I wouldn't get a rolling pin unless I did a lot of pie crust or roll-out cookies. In a pinch, you can use a bottle of water or wine bottle (make sure it's round).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Egg beater - definitely not, this can be done by hand. Given only 10 utensils, you have to figure

1) everything you might want to bake

2) everything you can do without, make do using a more general tool

Now, you said "utensils" but include "baking pan" and "sauce pan", so I have to believe you mean 10 items total, not just utensils (which normally does not include cookware).

1) baking pan - without this, there is no baking. *Which* is difficult, I recommend something both large and high-sided. Bread can be baked in French-style loaves, so the only type of thing you really can't do is cupcakes and shaped cakes

2) 1/4 cup measuring cup - it will be slow, but you can use this for all cup-sized measurements

3) 1/4 tsp measuring spoon - ditto

4) 1/2 tbs measuring spoon - too ridiculous to use 12 1/4 tsps to get to a tbs, and 4 1/2 tbs make an ounce, too

5) wooden spoon - you can use this in place of a mixer and a spatula

6) fork - egg beater, puncturer

7) mixing bowl - one won't work, though a corning ware sauce pan might replace one in utility

8) corning ware sauce pan, large - oven safe, double duty as a cake pan and a mixing bowl

9 & 10) tough call, depends on what you bake. I'm leaning toward a rolling pin and a shredder/grater, but that's because of the type of things I have baked. A knife, for example, is very useful in some things. You have to leave some leeway for the individual baker here, I think.

Jim

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Mixing Bowl, Measuring Cup, Skillet, Sauce Pan, Spatula, Colander, Sauce Spoon, Tongs, Pot, Baking Pan

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if you are just learning to bake or cook i sugest first of all a book on kitchen and food safety.cooking is rated even more dangerious than police work.some sugestions good oven. good quility mixer like kitchen aid or quesen art. pans oven mits.measureing cups both wet and dry and measure spoons, and a good quility waight scale as some recipes are in waight mesures. sifter to remove lumps from flour. sauce pan to melt butter etc pastery brush.dough pin or a dowel to rool out dough with.bowels stainless is realy good and cheep.wire whip. can opener ,high heat ruber spatula set, good sharp chefs knife.a dull knife is dangerious causes user to use extra force if it slips in some situations you get realy hurt.so be carefull and use sharp knives and safe equiptment.and never use a wet or damp rags to handle hot pans with. safety and cleanlyness is allways first.

Source(s): i been cooking a while.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Mashed Potatoes and Gravy - It's amazing how good it tastes when scopped up with your fingers. LOL Just Kidding Barbecue Spare Ribs and Fried Chicken. Actually I can name a lot of them but those two are my favorites.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

mixing bowl, measuring cup, egg beater, pan, blender,spatula, rolling pin, non stick paper to put on the pan, butter paper so you can butter the pan and not get your hands dirty andi think plasti wrap but i'm not sure

• M M T
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

measuring cups (dry), measuring cups (liquid), measuring spoons, silicone spatulas, Kitchen-aid mixer, Kitchen-aid food processor, 13" x 9" glass baking pan, glass 9" pie pan, 10" spring form pan and hot pads!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"Blender, food processor"

A blender or food processor can speed some preparation steps by chopping, grinding and mixing. Choose one with variable speeds and parts that are easy to clean.

Choose a set of four nesting glass, stainless steel, plastic, or pottery bowls. Some sets are available with spouts for pouring. Plastic bowls may retain food odors, colors and oils.

"Bread machine"

A nice-to-have, but not-necessary piece of equipment that mixes and bakes bread all in the same machine.

"Custard cups"

These small glass cups may be used in the oven for baking single-serving desserts and custards. They also are handy for separating eggs, coloring small amounts of frosting and other baking uses.

"Decorating bag"

This is also referred to as a pastry bag and is a waxed cloth, plastic or paper bag which comes with a variety of screw-on tips for decorating with frostings and icings.

"Eggbeater"

This is a hand-held rotary beater that can be used in place of a wire whisk or electric mixer.

"Electric mixer"

This appliance is used for mixing and whipping ingredients. A portable, hand-held mixer is great for light jobs. A free-standing electric mixer works best for bigger quantities and longer mixing times. Many freestanding mixers also come with bread dough hooks for making yeast bread.

"Grater"

A utensil that has surfaces to produce fine to coarse shreds. It is available in plastic or metal.

"Juicer"

Sometimes called a reamer, this is a glass, metal or ceramic utensil for removing the juice from citrus fruits. Choose a juicer with holes for straining the juice from the pulp, a spout for pouring and a handle. Some juicers have a rim for placing over a measuring cup or bowl.

"Knives"

An assortment of sharp, serrated and plain-edged knives, in sizes ranging from paring to butcher, will fit all your baking needs.

"Measuring cups"

You will need two kinds: a glass measuring cup, which holds 1, 2, or 4 cups, for measuring all liquids, and a set of metal or plastic 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 and 1 cup measuring cups for dry ingredients.

"Measuring spoons"

Measuring spoons for 1/4, 1/2 and 1 teaspoon and 1 tablespoon are available in metal or plastic for measuring small amounts of both dry and liquid ingredients.

"Metal spatula"

These are used for leveling off ingredients. Rounded end spatulas are used for frosting cakes.

"Mixing spoons"

Whether you prefer plastic, wood, or metal, have several mixing spoons of varying sizes on hand.

"Pancake turner"

This is used to remove cookies from baking sheets or bars from pans. One with a short, wide blade works best.

"Pastry blender"

A pastry blender is a set of parallel curved wires attached to a handle used to cut butter and/or shortening into the dry ingredients for pastry or biscuit dough. Inexpensive and available in supermarkets and housewares stores, a pastry blender does a good job of working the fat into the flour until the mixture is coarse and crumbly.

"Pastry brush"

Use these to spread glazes and grease pans. Choose brushes with soft natural or synthetic bristles that won't tear or mark dough.

"Pastry cloth"

A sturdy, washable, canvas-like cloth to help prevent rolled doughs from sticking to a counter or tabletop.

"Rolling pin"

This is used for rolling out doughs. Choose a smooth, non-porous finish, either wood, marble or plastic. Wooden rolling pins are lightweight, inexpensive and readily available. However, these can become permeated with oils and flour if the surface is nicked or damaged. To keep doughs from sticking, cover the rolling pin with a rolling pin cover. Marble rolling pins are heavy, and roll dough evenly and quickly. When they are chilled, dough does not stick to them.

"Rolling pin cover"

This is also referred to as a stockinette cover. Made of a tube-knit cotton, it is stretched over a rolling pin. The cloth is then lightly floured and helps prevent rolled doughs from sticking.

"Rubber scraper"

Choose a wide, slightly stiff blade and a strong handle for scraping the sides of the bowl during mixing. Keep one just for baking so that it won't pick up strong odors from savory foods such as onions.

"Strainer"

This is necessary for draining liquids and for rinsing fruit and is available in plastic or wire mesh.

"Timer"

This is important for accurate baking times and is available in a number of styles. Choose one with a loud tone.

"Wire racks"

For cooling baked goods, racks allow air to circulate around the food and keep crusts from getting soggy. They are available in several sizes.

"Wire whisk"

This is used for mixing, beating egg whites and whipping cream and is available in a variety of sizes. Larger whisks are appropriate for bigger quantities and heavier mixtures. Choose ones with comfortable handles.

I hope I helped!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.