Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo?

After 3 yrs of being on birth control and being on two diff. kinds from the health dept.. having bad side effects i decided to see a real gyno.. she put me on ortho tri cyclen lo.. the main issue i have is gaining weight.. she said the hormones make you want to eat and eat.. so im wondering if anyone gained any weight while being on this pill??

I havent started my ortho tri cyclen yet but after being on two generic kinds of birth control i have gained 16 lbs in the past 3 yrs.. so i do not see how this is water weight..

Favorite Answer

i definitely did =(

i was on otc lo for almost 3 years but now i'm on tri-sprintec [generic version of otc] and i think that otc lo [as well as this one] have caused me to gain weight. last summer, i went off of birth control for 3 or 4 months and i ran two miles each day and changed my eating habits and ended up losing about 13lbs by the end. I got back on otc lo then switched to tri-sprintec and didn't keep up with my new healthy habits so i ended up gaining back about 10 lbs of the weight i lost. THIS summer...i'm on birth control; i've been running two miles and eating better just like last summer...and i have not lost ANY weight at all while last summer i started losing about a pound or two each week almost immediately. It's been almost a month already and it's really discouraging but the running and eating help make me FEEL healthier and i have more energy which is of course more important but I am going to go talk to my doctor if by the fall when i go back to school i haven't lost any weight with all of the exercising and see what another birth control option could be. good luck!

I used ortho tri cyclen lo for a couple of years. I didn't have any adverse side effects except fatigue. It kept my periods shorter, only 3-4 days long, and was reliable. Like any oral contraceptive, be sure you take the pill around the same time every day, as this will increase its effectiveness. I only used the pill, but I was also in a committed monogomous relationships. Please know that if you are only going to use an oral contraceptive, that it does not protect you against STDs, and actually changes the acidity and hormones of the vagina to make women more at risk for STDs. I've never had a problem or scare though, and it's been one of the best birth control pills I've taken.

I am starting Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and all I can say is that if you really care about weight gain, then you will most likely not allow yourself to gain too much weight.

I personally will starve myself until I am used to small enough proportions while on the pill inorder to stay small...

some people will just cave in and eat, eat, eat and gain 10 or 20 pounds.

so...my advice is to not worry too much^^

I have been on this strong pill many moments and your question to the equation is very juvenile. Female species should not consider what's not important, you need to look at the reality line in know whats best for you (my friend). Don't worry the weight will come off in a flash, it's just water weight.

Google it - and see what comes up.

What did the dr. tell you about this one? with it being lo - I would think that would be lower hormones -- which is good - for several things - and should help you not to gain as much weight.

ive been on it over a year and havent really gained any noticeable weight

i was on it for a year and i gained about 10lbs.

it clears up your skin completely though!

and is really effective if you take it properly.

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq