Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

If Israel and Iran entered into war before the elections would it have an impact on your presidential vote?

I really don't like Obama at all, but when it comes to McCain I have always felt apprehension about the possibility of a war against Iran. But if war broke out between Iran and Israel before the election and the U.S. gives support to Iran, then I have to assume that the U.S. will be at war with Iran no matter if Obama or McCain is president and in times of such war I think I would almost have to go with McCain. At the moment my vote is undecided. What are your thoughts on this?

Update:

I personally didn't agree with Matt E, a victory over Iran if obtainable would tremendously help the U.S., Iraq and Iran have soo much oil reserves that together they easily can provide 140 years of fossil fuels at U.S. consumption rates, and to turn that entire portion of the Middle East into democracies would be fantastic for the U.S., not to mention anything about religious reasons why the U.S. would like the war

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes

the candidate that can yell

" I LOVE ISRAEL MORE THAN YOU DO "

the loudest will win

THE LIBERAL MEDIA | posted March 6, 2008 (March 24, 2008 issue)

(Some) Jews Against Obama

ERIC ALTERMAN

During the past few months a small group of neoconservative Jews, many of whom hold key positions in the world of official Jewish institutions, have been working to undermine the presidential candidacy of Barack Obama with a series of carefully planted character assassinations and deliberately misleading innuendo. I noticed this trend when Debra Feuer, a counsel for the American Jewish Committee, sent a confidential memo to her counterparts at other organizations criticizing Obama's views on the Middle East, Iran and Syria and attacking him for having once appeared at a fundraiser headlined by the late Edward Said. The memo, reported by the Forward, was immediately disowned, but not denied, by AJC executive director David Harris.

Also throwing his hatchet into the ring was Morton Klein, who heads up the Likud-loving Zionist Organization of America, complaining that "Barack Obama doesn't understand the continuing Arab war against Israel" and terming the notion of an Obama presidency "frightening." He was joined by Malcolm Hoenlein, executive vice president of the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations, the umbrella group that professes to speak for all American Jews. Hoenlein told the Israeli daily Ha'aretz that Obama's talk of "change" could prove "an opening for all kinds of mischief" and gave voice to what he termed "a legitimate concern over the zeitgeist around the campaign." The Tennessee Republican Party issued a news release noting what it claimed was "a growing chorus of Americans concerned about the future of the nation of Israel, the only stable democracy in the Middle East, if Sen. Barack Hussein Obama is elected president of the United States."

March 18, 2008

Apparently Without Irony, Washington Post Says Jewish Advocates Demand that Obama Show 'Fealty to Israel'

The story continues: supporters of Israel are rising against Obama, there is a major push this week to destroy his candidacy. Today's Washington Post reports on a debate yesterday arranged by United Jewish Committees in D.C. among Jewish advocates for Hillary, Obama, and McCain. The debate became a rout, the Post columnist averred, in which the advocates for Hillary and McCain "used their time to raise doubts about Obama's fealty to Israel."

Fealty to Israel? They portrayed Obama as a dangerous leftwinger, and when the Illinois senator's surrogate defended Obama's statement that the U.S. does not have to cleave to Likud policies, Ann Lewis, Hillary's advocate, responded:

"The role of the president of the United States is to support the decisions that are made by the people of Israel. It is not up to us to pick and choose from among the political parties."

Yup, sounds like fealty to me! What is there to say about such a statement? Horrifying. Likud has been against the peace process, against a Palestinian state, for the colonization of the West Bank. Do we have a foreign policy? Do we take sides on such matters? Do we take sides on minority rights in foreign countries? Are we the strongest country in the world, or do we get dragged around by racist biblical colonialists half a world away?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I love Matt E's response! We have no right to speak for those who are fighting for our country. Lately it has become "hip" to be against the war without having any clue as to what the war is about or what the repercussions are to pulling out too early. I don't trust Obama, and he is a man of buzzwords and shallow promises. I will stick with McCain through it all and am confident that even if there is no impending attack on Iran that we value our country too much to hand it over to a modern day "magic potion peddler".

• 1 decade ago

well.. i can tell you as an active duty military member.. we don't enjoy when people use us to make political points.. like ending the war will make life better for us.

yes.. it will... but we don't sign up unless we know what we are getting into .. and everyone in the military (save a couple cowards every now and then) knows and accepts that we may go to Iraq, and MOST of us want to see the job through...

And what would going to war with Iran mean to the rest of America? nothing really.. other than some more national debt...and higher gas possibly.. but you really havent given up anything for this war, and wouldnt for the next war

• 1 decade ago

No because McCain is the only man I want in there in war or peace.

Israel is on the verge of bombing Iran's nuclear facilities and if they do only McCain would know how to handle it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

McCain would win in a landslide. Obama supporters would be jumping ship like a bunch of rats.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. Still McCain.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

McCain = Fight 2 wars and then some

Obama = End Iraq war...ease up the job for our troops...their risking their lives for us...don't make it harder for them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You are right, we will have Armageddon, fighting a proxy war for Israel.

• 1 decade ago

McCain all the way!!!!!

Source(s): reg. demacrat voting here
  • 1 decade ago

No , it will still be Mc Cain.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.