Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 decade ago

I'm going to have 80,000-100,000 in student loans debt. advice please.?

My mom didnt want to help pay for my schooling; she makes a little less than 100k a year, which should be enough to help pay for some of my schooling. Each year, I receive about 15K in financial aid and then plus the cost of living, so each year I have about 20k in loans ( At the end of my sophomore year, I had about 41k in student loans not including the interest) I'm an Accounting Major, I have a 2.3 GPA. I just need some advice. I was contemplating grad school as well. oh, i told my mom this, she still doesn't want to help.

my life is going to suck.

Favorite Answer

Here is my advice. Get a job and use the money to help pay your way through. I have to question what you are spending all that money on. I can't see any school costing $20K per year, even with housing, but I suppose it is possible. Also, have you applied for any scholarships at all? It may be hard to get them with your GPA, which also begs the question of what you are doing with your time while at school. You may not even get into grad school if you don't get on the ball. Most grad programs want to see a 3.0 or better in undergrad. In any case, it seems to me that you need to buckle down, focus on your studies, earn some extra cash, watch what you spend (that means no movies every week, no new X-Box, no new stereo equipment, no vehicle upgrades, no fancy expensive clothes, no eating out 7 days a week, etc), and get through school.

To help put this in focus, you can expect to pay around $10.00 per month for every $1,000 in student loan debt. For a $100K student loan debt, that will be a payment of roughly $1,000 per month. Just set your priorities and then live with your decisions.

You don't have to repay student loans while you are in school so right now, focus on that GPA. Most of the major accounting firms will not interview a candidate will a GPA lower than 3.0.

Student loans are ok debt to have as compared to credit card debt as long as you are getting something out of your education. As an accountant, you will never have a problem getting a job.

As soon as you get out of school, you can consolidate the loans and lock in a low interest rate. I would suggest working on your GPA. Graduate. Get a good accounting job and pay down the loans a bit. THEN look into graduate school after a few years. Many employers will pay for it....particularly in accounting because most states require at least 150 hours of college credit to sit for the CPA exam. (A Bachelor's degree is 120 so you need some grad school to be a CPA)

Go for student loan consolidation.

There are many programmes for student like you.

Here are some best one,

http://studentloansconsolidation1.blogspot.com/