Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 1 decade ago

How much do garage doors weigh?

• CBH
    Favorite Answer

a standard 16x7 door with no insulation weighs about 150 pounds. Insulation adds about 25 pounds and a steel back ads about another 30 so about 205 pounds. Wood doors are inconsistent because the type of wood matters a lot as well as the style that if built on to it.

Glass does not affect the weight very much.

Source(s): Employee at a garage door company

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/9mKwH

Ok, I am sorry but I do not agree fully with ANY of the answers you have gotten, except for that TJK scale business is ridiculous! You should know that no matter what the HP is on an operator it is NOT designed to carry ANY of the weight of a door. They are only designed to open and close an object. The torsion springs are what should carry the weight of your door. If your door is heavy to open and close, do NOT put a new motor operator on it without having your springs adjusted, it will have the same problem your last one did. Now with a properly balanced door you can have a 1/3 HP on a two car garage, it is a misconception that you need a higher HP. A 1/2HP however is a better unit, because it normally comes with a wall console and other features that the 1/3 H.P. doesnt offer. I personally do not like the genie operators. At one point they were one of the better units on the market, but they have been boughten out by a Japanese company which changed the inside parts to all plastic parts that wear easily. A Chamberlain/LiftMaster is your No. 1 selling unit and is good, because they will most likely have replacement parts if you ever do have problems. The 3/4 HP motor operators were invented for carriage house style doors that have larger sections, 21" and 24" sections. If your door is made up of these sections then a 3/4HP is recommended because it takes a little more effort to pull it thru the radius. Because you have a wood door, you will have some additional weight in the winter. No matter how often you adjust the springs. Your door will absorb water no matter how many times you seal it. In this case it maybe beneifical to go with the 3/4 HP operator. You should know that door manufacters have been developing new steel doors that are designed to look like wood. To aviod having problems with an operator you may want to look into getting a package deal with a door and motor that will give you less maintenace and headache. The debate between a chain screw and belt has long been debated. Bascially the difference is in maintenace and noise. A chain is considered the lowest model, they will take more maintenance and is louder than both the screwdrive and beltdrive operators. The screw and belt drives are both maintenance free, however the belt is a quieter unit and most likly comes with a longer warranty. When the belts first came out I was not a fan because in extreme temptures hot/cold they would expand and contract, however most manufacturers have solved this problem by completely inclosing the belt and giving it a lifetime warranty. These are all things to consider when purchasing a new unit. Good luck and I hope this helps.

• trusso

Garage Door Weight

7x16 Garage Door

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How much do garage doors weigh?

Source(s): garage doors weigh: https://tr.im/gv50d

Wood or aluminum? The metal ones are about 100lbs with the steel wheels and hinges attached. That is why the springs are attached to the top of the door to counter the weight of the door. If you lift it with no garage door opener it feels like it weighs 25lbs. because the springs are helping it up for you.

1 car aluminum garage door around 75 lbs double it for a 2 car

my car garage door size are 8' wide & 7 feet height & we replace it the color yellow spring (130 lbs), when I install it. I cannot close the garage, maybe I replace the wrong weight of the spring, my question is ??? what kind of weight do I need?.

thank you

80% of weight loss is diet.

You can eat a healthy diet and lose weight.

A good healthy diet high in fiber, lean meats, eggs, complex carbohydrates, whole grains, antioxidant foods, healthy beverages and low in added sugar and salt help people lose weight, lower cholesterol, increase energy have a more positive lifestyle!

You need to eat a lot more food and a lot more fiber! Learn more here: