Changing Cat Food?

I'm just wondering what the best way is to change cats food. Would it be similar to a dog where you should mix the current with the new food and slowly increase the % of new food. OR are cats better able to handle a sudden switch? I thought we were using a good quality cat food and found out that this... show more I'm just wondering what the best way is to change cats food.
Would it be similar to a dog where you should mix the current with the new food and slowly increase the % of new food. OR are cats better able to handle a sudden switch?

I thought we were using a good quality cat food and found out that this brand isn't that much better than the grocery store stuff so I want to get them onto either Merrick or Solid Gold brand of cat foods. I will be going to the specialty pet store tonight to see which varieties they have and will pick a flavor that I think the cats will like.

Thanks for your advice!
Update: Thanks everyone! I've actually only ever used 1 brand of cat food before so I've never switched cats food - - only the dog and that was because she developed tummy problems (not food related). It was fortunate for the cats because the dog's issues caused me to read up on the ingredients of the... show more Thanks everyone! I've actually only ever used 1 brand of cat food before so I've never switched cats food - - only the dog and that was because she developed tummy problems (not food related).

It was fortunate for the cats because the dog's issues caused me to read up on the ingredients of the food brand I had been giving all of them and I realized it wasn't all that much better for them than the grocery store stuff.
So now I'm on a mission for the better foods!
Update 2: The "kids" had been on Nutro since day 1 that we brought them home. Although my dog *had* to go on Science Diet prescription food for a short time due to her tummy problems and I am weaning her off of that and onto Solid Gold's green bag (for sensitive tummies). I have never fed them grocery store... show more The "kids" had been on Nutro since day 1 that we brought them home. Although my dog *had* to go on Science Diet prescription food for a short time due to her tummy problems and I am weaning her off of that and onto Solid Gold's green bag (for sensitive tummies). I have never fed them grocery store brands.

I can't find anyone in my area that carries Wellness, but I have found a place that carries Solid Gold & Merrick and they are actually better quality and a little less expensive than the Nutro I have been giving them.